Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GL Wagon Turbo full time 4WD, OR...

slothoncanvas

hey guys... finally, i have a few cars that i am actually considering and are in my very narrow price range.

I'd be using them as daily drivers and would also be doing a great deal of off-roading.

i saw a subaru GL (i believe it was) Wagon Turbo full time 4WD for sale for around $1000 outside a local music store. i got very excited when i saw it, and am considering it.

also, however... i've recently become aware of this dealer in Phili (about an hour and half from where i live) that's selling an 87' Dodge Raider for the same price. The Raider is basically a 2-door, short wheelbase Mitsubishi Montero, or a Pajero as the call them over sees (which has sort of been my dream car since i got into off-roading).

so i'm torn between the two. both aren't you're typical everyday off road vehicles, so each has that unique quality.

although, i have to say it may be more practical for me to get the Raider. The Raider already has pretty decent clearence, and there's plenty of space for bigger tires. The subaru may give me a headache trying to get it lifted and such. plus, Raiders have 4hi and 4lo... which i don't believe the subaru would have.

well, any opinions would be appreciated... and try not to be too biased based on the name of this Message Board.

Thanks.

don't fool yourself,there's bias.that is why we all congregate here.think of the after market support for both.what are you getting into?the subie aftermarket is finally starting to come alive and will probably keep growing.the montero or raider aftermarket is not much better.alot of swapable parts from other vehicles on both sides of that fence.you can get a d/r tranny in a soob.that is the beauty of these vehicles.alot of folks have rocked ea-82 wagons on the trail....are you next?

ok guys, i called about the Raider today. Was planning on driving up and getting it tomorrow or the next day, but found that it had been sold over the weekend.

so, that leaves me with the turbo subaru gl wagon!

i do have one concern though, i hear these cars are known for rusting out very quickly. there were a couple rust spots on the outside of the body, but i didn't check underneath the car yet.

do you guys have experience with this happening?

also... how expensive/simple-to-install are lift kits for such a vehicle? (i know absolutely NOTHING about cars, so if i purchase this car i will be doing intense amounts of reading to try to become a do-it-yourself-er.)