Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stock Fog Lights. . .HELP!

I have a 1987 Subaru GL-10 4WD Turbo Wagon with pneumatic height control. . . I have what I believe are the stock fog lights. . . I was wondering if they don't turn on could it be the bulbs??? The right one used to work but now none of them work. If so how do I get down there to change my fog light bulbs??? It doesn't look like you can take the covers off. . Or at least I don't know how to. Any information and or help would help. . and be appreciated.

Thanks,

KNIGHTRIDER

let's start with the easy stuff.

1. the FUSE!

2. the SWITCH! do you hear a click when key on lights on, turn on switch?

3. the GROUND! it's behind the grill

got pics of lights??

1. If you mean the fuse box, yes i have checked them and they seem to be in working order.

2. Yes, when I hit the switch i hear a click. Not sure about the key thing. I only hear the click when i hit the fog light switch.

3. What do you mean the ground???

No, pics i will try to get them up sooon though.

THanks for the quick response. I'm just new to the car, because this is basically my first car.

--KNIGHTRIDER--

Are they rectangular and have Black covers that say SUBARU? Like these? (Shown without covers)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/Literature/brochures/1986-g.jpg

If so you gotta take the lights themselves off the car to get the bulbs out. They are probably on a hinged bracket thats bolted thru the foglight fixture and removed with a 12MM wrench and socket on each side of the nut/bolt. From there theres 2 phillips screws holding the light together so you pull the back off and then the bulb is clipped into the housing. I believe a parts store will stock that bulb in most cases its a typical part number and Wagner made one when i needed a replacement.

The factory kit doesnt have a fuse, its fused thru the headlight circuit and has a relay. The relay rarely fails as its inside the car under the dash and is pretty well made. If your headlights work its gotta be the bulbs if i had to bet.

Are they rectangular and have Black covers that say SUBARU? Like these? (Shown without covers)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/Literature/brochures/1986-g.jpg

If so you gotta take the lights themselves off the car to get the bulbs out. They are probably on a hinged bracket thats bolted thru the foglight fixture and removed with a 12MM wrench and socket on each side of the nut/bolt. From there theres 2 phillips screws holding the light together so you pull the back off and then the bulb is clipped into the housing. I believe a parts store will stock that bulb in most cases its a typical part number and Wagner made one when i needed a replacement.

The factory kit doesnt have a fuse, its fused thru the headlight circuit and has a relay. The relay rarely fails as its inside the car under the dash and is pretty well made. If your headlights work its gotta be the bulbs if i had to bet.

Thanks, for the quick response. Yeah, those are the ones I have and you answered another question, because now I know what those black covers are for too. . lol:lol: . Yeah, every other lights work on the car, I just recently replaced the headlights with the Sylvania Silverstars and they work fine, not that they were ever a problem. So, i would have to take each light off manually and replace the bulbs, that's cool and i'll check the fuses which you said would be in the headlight area in where the engine is, right. Cool, thanks I will do that tomorrow and hopefully they will be working by tomorrow.