Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Speed Sensor installation

Ok, so thanks to the help of people on here, I know I need to fix the speed sensor on my transmission on my manual transmission 2001 outback.

My question is, is that something I can do myself (assuming I have the help of some car-knowledgable people)? And if so, how do you do it? I have heard from some people that it is as simple as just unscrewing the old one and screwing in the new one from the outside of the transmission. Others have said that it might require taking apart and getting inside the transmission. I do not mind taking it to the dealerhsip to egt fixed, but if its reasonably simple I would rather save the money and do it myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Also, If I take it to get fixed, I may not be able to do so for a couple weeks. Is this something that is doing harm to my car by not fixing it? And will my car eventually break down if it is not fixed soon enough?

Thanks!!!!!!

Laura

• 6 months later...