Ultimate Subaru Message Board

There's a mouse in the house

#@%&!! (cuss words!).

This morning I opened the glove compartment and a chocolate bar I'd stashed in there, had tiny little teeth marks and there was paper bits everywhere. This is on a 1987 GL wagon

I've had the problem on previous Subarus as well... I had a mouse get into the glove box on my '88 wagon and worse... a mouse packed the heater/duct system with crap and bits of insulation on my '81 GL wagon. I sold that car after that. I HATE MICE! They are so destructive and dirty.

What's up with older Subarus and mice? I've never had a problem with any of my other cars... even my old '68 Landcruiser.

Tracy

lol... that sucks... I've never had a mouse in one of my vehicles. They can be very hazardous to your vehichle by doing things such as chewing through important wires that are very inaccesable. I would suggest getting some D-Con or something of the sort immediately... or keep some cats in your garage/yard. Good luck getting that little gremlin!!!

Actually its common to alot of cars out in the country and suburbs, espcially if the car sits for any length of time, and there is a food source to be had. MIce can make themselves surprisingly flat to get into air grills etc.

You may have a freind now. Bets thing to do is not to leave food in the car, park it in a differnt place if you can for a while, and ir there are any open air intakes, cover them with chicken wire.

nipper

Yeah... we live out in the country and there are a lot of field mice. I'm trying to see how he got past the firewall. I've heard that a mouse can squeeze into a spot that a pencil can fit into. I don't know if it is infact true but I do have a hole in my firewall that size. I wonder about the shifter linkage or the hole where the steering passes through. I'll need to do some further inspection. In the meantime, I may empty out the glove compartment and put a 'sticky glue trap' with a piece of chocolate on it, in there for a week or two. I don't want him to find a way into the ventilation system! Like I said earlier, a mouse nest in the heater/air duct system was a key factor in my decision to upgrade Subarus a few years ago. I'm planning on keeping this Subaru for good while so I need to do some 'mouse proofing'.

Tracy

Actually its common to alot of cars out in the country and suburbs, espcially if the car sits for any length of time, and there is a food source to be had. MIce can make themselves surprisingly flat to get into air grills etc.

You may have a freind now. Bets thing to do is not to leave food in the car, park it in a differnt place if you can for a while, and ir there are any open air intakes, cover them with chicken wire.

nipper

I also have (had) mice in my 87 GL 4WD. I used a Havahart mouse trap with peanut butter and oatmeal flakes. Worked like a charm. The cage/trap was 16 bucs at Tru-Valu. You can only catch one a night though. No electrical damage but they did get into the blower housing and block the evap coil. They don't need you to leave food in the car. They bring their own acorns. I didn't know I had mice until I found a four foot black snake with a full belly up under the dash!

#@%&!! (cuss words!).

This morning I opened the glove compartment and a chocolate bar I'd stashed in there, had tiny little teeth marks and there was paper bits everywhere. This is on a 1987 GL wagon

I've had the problem on previous Subarus as well... I had a mouse get into the glove box on my '88 wagon and worse... a mouse packed the heater/duct system with crap and bits of insulation on my '81 GL wagon. I sold that car after that. I HATE MICE! They are so destructive and dirty.

What's up with older Subarus and mice? I've never had a problem with any of my other cars... even my old '68 Landcruiser.

Tracy

• 3 years later...

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I'm having mouse problems in my '86 GL wagon. I first noticed the smell and a funny noise when the vent fan was running. I removed the fan and found two dead mice and tons of nesting material. Then today I heard a loud clicking when I first started the car with the vent fan running. This time I knew what it was and pulled the fan again. This sucker was still alive, though the fan broke one of his back legs. At least he didn't stink up the joint.

I have a Weber carb on this car. Where is the intake for the fresh air vents and fan? I need to put some chicken wire over wherever they are getting in and pronto. This car obviously doesn't get driven very often and garaging it is not an option for the moment.

Thanks.

They bring their own acorns. I didn't know I had mice until I found a four foot black snake with a full belly up under the dash!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'd rather find a mouse. Especially if I was driving at the time.

I'm not sure about Subaru, the mice leave my Brat alone. (It's parked outside) But Chrysler Corp. and Polaris have been using "soy" based insulation on their wiring for several years, the mice love it. They almost ate the entire wiring harness on my old utility quad, they seem to like my old (1981) Triumph too. Both those toys were in my shop, now equiped with permanent mouse protection. (spelled C-A-T)