Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Strut choice for Scorpion lift springs?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sid_vicious

sid_vicious

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Madison, WI

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:45 PM

Hi,
As the suspension components are beginning to wear out on my 97 Legacy Outback, I'm considering going with the Scorpion lift springs. I've searched the forum quite a bit and found that the springs have a slight trade-off because the extra lift reduces the downtravel of the OEM struts. I know the KYB GR-2's (OEM) work fine with this small exception, but is there a taller strut compatible with the Outback that I should be looking into?
Thanks!

#2 outback_97

outback_97

Eat, Live, Breathe Subaru

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 01 December 2005 - 01:05 PM

Bump, 'cause I've been wondering the same thing.

My 97 has 117K miles, original springs, original rear struts, and the front struts were replaced around 90K miles or so. Trying to decide what to do because I wouldn't mind a slight increase in ground clearance and stiffness and the rear of the car is feeling pretty soft, I know the rear struts are knackered.

Sid, I wonder if we'd have better luck in the "offroad" forum? There's just very very few people that I've been able to find online that have put the Scorpion springs in, and I haven't seen any long-term results. I've seen mention online (from an Australian website) that the taller springs will cause premature strut failure when used with stock size struts. But I don't know how objective or accurate that was.

Steve

#3 LosDiosDeVerde86

LosDiosDeVerde86

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Columbus

Posted 04 December 2005 - 08:03 AM

bump

that'd be a nice alternative to a BYB or AA body lift!

#4 JEGIII

JEGIII

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Albuquerque

Posted 04 December 2005 - 03:28 PM

I have over 40K on my Scorpion Springs with KYB GR-2's. I haven't had any issues with the struts wearing out yet. I really think the ride is better and the handling was much improved. The extra inch & a half of clearance didn't hurt either.I have over 40K on my Scorpion Springs with KYB GR-2's. I haven't had any issues with the struts wearing out yet. I really think the ride is better and the handling was much improved. The extra couple of inches of clearance didn't hurt either.

#5 Gnuman

Gnuman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,399 posts
  • Richmond, CA

Posted 04 December 2005 - 08:30 PM

He's so happy he said it twice!! :D

#6 sid_vicious

sid_vicious

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Madison, WI

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:10 PM

I have over 40K on my Scorpion Springs with KYB GR-2's. I haven't had any issues with the struts wearing out yet. I really think the ride is better and the handling was much improved. The extra inch & a half of clearance didn't hurt either.I have over 40K on my Scorpion Springs with KYB GR-2's. I haven't had any issues with the struts wearing out yet. I really think the ride is better and the handling was much improved. The extra couple of inches of clearance didn't hurt either.

I have read some of your other posts regarding the lift, and it sounds like the way to go to lift the car without a body kit (or in addition to one). I hope you don't mind me posting a link to the gallery page you posted a while back:
http://homepage.mac....hotoAlbum1.html

The car looks sweet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users