Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Boeing uses Subaru engine in unmanned rotorcraft

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 swc7916

swc7916

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Kirkland

Posted 01 December 2005 - 10:47 AM

The following article was in the Boeing News this morning:

Boeing A160 Hummingbird completes flight test

By Doug Kinneard Ship 4 of the Boeing A160 Hummingbird unmanned rotorcraft program made its first test flight Wednesday from an airfield near Victorville, Calif., as Boeing continues to demonstrate the unprecedented range, endurance, payload and altitude capabilities of this unmanned air vehicle.

"This flight – the first with a six-cylinder Subaru engine – is an important step toward concept demonstration of this innovative UAV to offer unprecedented capabilities in the history of helicopters," said Gary Gallagher, A160 program manager for Boeing Phantom Works.

"It's gratifying to resume flight testing, as the A160 team does a great job with this new technology," Gallagher continued. "This aircraft can change all the rules as they apply to UAV vertical takeoff and landing operations."

The new A160 successfully flew for about 30 minutes in the vicinity of the airfield, bringing the total number of A160 test flights to 32 and the total number of flight hours to 58.

The objectives of the test included opening the A160's flight envelope for the latest vehicle configuration – previous aircraft used four-cylinder Subaru engines. Engineers are currently analyzing the flight data in preparation for the next series of test flights.

The Hummingbird features a unique optimum speed rotor technology that significantly improves overall performance efficiency by adjusting the RPM of the rotor system at different altitudes, gross weights and cruise speeds. It is designed to fly autonomously, for much longer periods of time (in excess of 24 hours), over greater distances (2,500-plus nautical miles/4,630-plus kilometers), at higher altitudes (up to 30,000 feet/9,144 meters) and much more quietly than current helicopters.

The A160 could provide reconnaissance, surveillance, target acquisition, communication relay and precision re-supply. The A160 Hummingbird is being developed and tested by Phantom Works under contract with the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. Phantom Works currently is under contract for eight A160 UAVs for DARPA and 10 for Naval Air Systems Command.

#2 Jerry DeMoss

Jerry DeMoss

Pushrods 'O' Fury

• Members
  • 2,408 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 01 December 2005 - 10:53 AM

Thankyou for posting that interesting tidbit.I am very into the aviation world,being a certified A&P mechanic.I would love to see what this thing looks like.I wonder what engine it used since it was said it uses a 6cyl subaru engine?

#3 dpoppeli

dpoppeli

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 10:57 AM

Google is your friend:

http://www.designati...ummingbird.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thankyou for posting that interesting tidbit.I am very into the aviation world,being a certified A&P mechanic.I would love to see what this thing looks like.I wonder what engine it used since it was said it uses a 6cyl subaru engine?

#4 Tbird Man

Tbird Man

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Boone

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:28 AM

I would say almost certinly an EZ30 or EZ30R, its lighter and more compact than the EJ33.

#5 swc7916

swc7916

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Kirkland

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:53 AM

For a photo, try this site: http://boeingnews.we...a160_photo.html

#6 Hocrest

Hocrest

Function becomes Fun

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Cressona/Pittston

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:28 AM

Propulsion6-cylinder piston engine; 290 kW (390 hp)

hmmm... I wonder what all they did to get it to 390??? If it is an EG33, I'd love to borrow one to "test" out in the racer :brow:

#7 benebob

benebob

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 736 posts
  • Lancaster, PA

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:38 AM

hmmm... I wonder what all they did to get it to 390??? If it is an EG33, I'd love to borrow one to "test" out in the racer :brow:

We have a truck! Where's this plane at!!!:drunk:

#8 tailgatewagon

tailgatewagon

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,058 posts
  • Bozeman, MT

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:08 PM

i bet its the 30 .since it has timing chains and not a belt

#9 Left_coast*9

Left_coast*9

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Bonney Lake

Posted 10 December 2005 - 12:33 AM

Hey guys -- this is sweet set up. The Boeing Phantom Works division that engineers this craft is based in Irvine, CA. While I wasn't an aerospace engineer for this craft, I WAS the environmental engineer on this project. They perform test flights up in Victorville, CA at the former AFB up there. This engine is minimum single turbo, and I know they used a twin turbo version at some point! Can you imagine??!?!?!
Go Boeing! Better yet, Go Subaru!!!

i bet its the 30 .since it has timing chains and not a belt

#10 subarubrat

subarubrat

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,236 posts
  • Bealeton, VA

Posted 10 December 2005 - 03:02 AM

There are more than a few of us Boeing folks around here now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users