Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Weber Owners

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kecksnext

kecksnext

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Valley Forge

Posted 03 October 2003 - 10:27 AM

What type of air filter is this? It looks like the old VW dual carb setup filters. Do they have these at local auto parts shops or do I have to go to a speed shop? What would I reference as far as vehicle type. I took mine to napa and they looked at me like I had bolts growin' outta my neck.

#2 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,158 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 03 October 2003 - 11:00 AM

you can get a K&N that will be the same, but you can order one from the redline weber site or curbsunlimited.

I have gotten 'em from eBay also.

they make a tall version and a short version.

http://www.carburato...berpartsair.asp

#3 kecksnext

kecksnext

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Valley Forge

Posted 03 October 2003 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for the info McBrat. Is there a difference in heights other than clearance issues? Also, I see that those are reusable. I would uess that means mine is as well. What would be the best way to clean htese filters...water? I apologize if these are simple questions but I never had to deal with these. Thanks for any advice.

#4 ezapar

ezapar

[OWB]

• 27,126 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 03 October 2003 - 05:06 PM

Height would have to do with clearance. The taller one won't fit under your hood without a lift.
KNN sells a cleaning kit. Comes with the cleaner and the oil and instructions to walk you thru.

#5 asavage

asavage

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • Port Townsend, Wash. 9836

Posted 03 October 2003 - 09:22 PM

Without thermostatically-controlled air (ie a carb air preheat hose), are these conversions prone to carb icing?

I know with the progressive Holley/Weber/Autolite conversions I've dealt with on the air-cooled VWs, that even with the exhaust heat riser passage left connected, here in northern Washington in cold, foggy weather they'd still ice up and put you by the side of the road, unless you rigged up some warm air feed to the air intake.

The Soobs (at least the EA82) have coolant flowing under the SPFI throttle body base, but is that enough to prevent carb venturi icing in cold wet weather? Or is someone fabbing air filter housings with a snorkel?

#6 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,125 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 04 October 2003 - 02:28 AM

I have only had my carb ice up ONCE in a year of driving... and a swift flooring of the car fixed that :D

#7 Mike W

Mike W

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 04 October 2003 - 11:09 AM

I've found that shops selling parts for Volkswagens are a good source for filters. Here in Seattle, Bow Wow sells EMPI brand filters for under $15 and they are identicle to K&N.
For those wishing to adsnorkle-ize the Weber, there is now an affordble adapter available from JAM Engineering (first item this page)
http://www.jameng.co...html?section=13 They also have adapters to fit OEM aircleaners.

#8 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,995 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 04 October 2003 - 04:10 PM

That looks tempting to me. 'Specially as the filter on the new Weber sits 1" higher than the hood. They sent me the tall element, need short one..............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users