Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Scalloped tire wear, what to do?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 soobyfan

soobyfan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Beaverton, OR

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:47 PM

I have a '96 OBW, 2.2L, 5 sp manual transmission. I recently put on my snow tires for the winter and found my right rear tire had excessive wear on the inside edge. The wear was uneven, and on only about 1/3 of the circumference of the tire. The wear was so bad the ply's are showing.

I have been reading the threads on the viscous coupling and am worried this may be the cause. I should also mention I am not noticing binding when in tight turns. Note: The car is new to me, I do not know if all 4 tires were within 1/4" in circumference.

1. How can I functionally check the viscous coupling?

2. If the VC is bad can I drive it for a couple of weeks without ruining my snow tires?

3. Any other ideas on what to look for?

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,256 posts
  • Texas

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:10 AM

I have a '96 OBW, 2.2L, 5 sp manual transmission. I recently put on my snow tires for the winter and found my right rear tire had excessive wear on the inside edge. The wear was uneven, and on only about 1/3 of the circumference of the tire. The wear was so bad the ply's are showing.

I have been reading the threads on the viscous coupling and am worried this may be the cause. I should also mention I am not noticing binding when in tight turns. Note: The car is new to me, I do not know if all 4 tires were within 1/4" in circumference.

2. If the VC is bad can I drive it for a couple of weeks without ruining my snow tires?

I think scalloped wear is most commonly associated with out-of-balance wheels and/or weak strut issues. I'd try to confirm the wheel hasn't thrown a weight and is true and balanced. The car is old enough it seems to possibly have a bad strut as well, so see if that corner seems 'bouncy' or has other problems.

#3 Tiny Clark

Tiny Clark

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Germany

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:37 AM

Yea, second vote for the strut.

#4 Strakes

Strakes

Kaboom? Kaboom?

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Knoxville

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:11 AM

Check the balance and then the strut. My wife's 93 chewed through set of tires because the struts were bad. If it's the strut...try and replace all 4 at the same time and get an alignment too.

#5 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,891 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:27 PM

i vote for a bad strut, bad wheel alignmnet, or bad bushing in the rear.

Do a search on torque bind, if you had it you would know it.

nipper

#6 soobyfan

soobyfan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Beaverton, OR

Posted 03 December 2005 - 12:17 AM

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

#7 soobyfan

soobyfan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Beaverton, OR

Posted 03 December 2005 - 01:44 PM

Nipper,

When you refer to a bushing for the rear strut are you talking about the bushing in the strut mount?

Thanks.

#8 All_talk

All_talk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • Thorp (Ellensburg)

Posted 03 December 2005 - 01:59 PM

Sure could be the strut, but the fact that its not all the way around the tire makes me think its an unbalanced or bent wheel. Could also just be a bum tire, I've had tires damaged from an impact that didn't blow at the time, but failed just as you described months later.

Gary

#9 LosDiosDeVerde86

LosDiosDeVerde86

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Columbus

Posted 04 December 2005 - 12:09 PM

yeah, i'm sure it's not that big a deal.

get some new rubbers, keep then balanced, get an alignment, and keep them rotated

#10 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,891 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:27 PM

Nipper,

When you refer to a bushing for the rear strut are you talking about the bushing in the strut mount?

Thanks.

could be a bushing not in the strut, but on one of the control arms .. just something else to look at, as i like to list all the possabilities.

nipper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users