Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The third eye

• 2 years later...
My 1982 4X4 Hatch came with one and the button says "Center Lamp"

Also I have seen it with the 4 light set-up. I'm not sure if it's factory or not, but it looks good.

423e3.jpg

This looks great! i thought I'd have to get DL lights... now I can use my extra grill to do this.

I've got one of the older lights with the big emblem... anyone interested in a trade for the later model?

A great thread.

Yeah according to my 1982 Subaru Manual and a few posts ahead of mine it was considered a "center lamp".

I think the only inconvenience is that brights have to be activated it order for the center lamp to actually be used. I found my center lamp on accident when I was changing the license plate out when I bought the car.

I have used it but it's good for only long stretches of open road or you catch you self constantly turning your brights off so you don't blind oncoming traffic.

Anyone know how to bypass the light so the center lamp can activate without brights on?

Rollerball

• 1 year later...

just got the third eye for my 85 brat:cool:with grill and head light bezals:headbang: im going to wire it to my center console (the one by the hill holder) it came out of a wagon with electric doors and windows so im going to wire the third eye to one of the switches then set up my my brush guard and hook up my kc light to another switch its going to be awesome

Edited by turbosubarubrat

I managed to luck out and get the relays and all but the theory of operation

is: two 12v lines. And ground of course..

to activate lamp and motor relays.. Lamp lid hits switch relay turns off motor. Holds relay.

When power on signal is off relay opens again

Cycles motor back to close switch when lid is down.

One is constant and powers the lamp and motor relays.

The second 12v is for the switch. Normally thats a dash switch and indicator.

It doesnt have to be high amp, but the lamp/motor relays want juice, it took a few tries before I found one it liked.

Just like an amp hookup I suppose. Just remember not to overjuice the motor ;)

On a related note just extracted a fog lamp switch from my roller hatch..

Well half of one.

The condition of the underdash trim may be excused if that thing went kablooey in the past..

Anyhow, given modern leds and a spare arcade button switch I'll probably have that switch going. .

• 3 months later...