Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alright people convince me....

eddygordouk

Yes i know im thickheaded but for $800 it doesnt seem so bad. The question is, being as impatient as I am, i want to swap to an ej from my weak EA82T but I am still confused as to which engine I should choose. $800 for longblock 2001 EJ25 and everything from my friend with 50k on the clock. Plus its USDM cali so all the smog thigies would be jus fine. But i want power, and turbo, and reliablilty haha so I am also looking at the EJ22T from the legacy's. I am asking, which do you think should I choose? I am really liking the EJ22T for its stock power and the ability to be easily upgraded but I also like how the EJ25 has alot of immediate power since its NA and the price isn't so bad. So help me all, and let me no your opinions. Also with the 22t i believe i could run the legacy tranny and because of that i could use the lsd 3.9 diff unlike the 4.11 ratio required to tap into the power of the EJ25, the only diffs out there seem to be regular auto ones from the old legacys. well, tell me what yall think.

depends how much power you want. if you want alot of power then a turbo is the way to go. upgraded turbos', intercoolers, exhaust allows huge increases in horsepower. if you're happy with good power from the 2.5 liter then go with that. they have quite a bit of power and drive very nice in the large newer soobs. but NA engines are very difficult (read custom work, lots of money and time) to get large horsepower increases from. turbo's are very easy to upgrade. so if moderate power gains are okay, stick with the 2.5 they pull nice and you know something about the motor...from a friend, 50k miles on it. if you want gobs of power, go for the turbo.

are youtrying to go sleeper style with your car, if so, swap in a EJ22t block with DOHC EJ25 heads, either legacy GT heads or RS heads, both the same. your compression ratio will be a little above 8.0:1, or it could be like 7.5:1, one of those two. you wont have off the line power, but when your turbo spools.....hold on. if your going to trail ride the car, and go offroad, use a N/A motor. but i wouldnt use the EJ25, use a EJ22 or EJ18, true, not nearly as many aftermarket options, but if you can deal with that. thats my advice. or you could use the EJ25 block, its a phase II, you said it came form a 2000 RS, so throw some EJ22 heads on it, preferable phase II. and boom, you have 11.5:1 compression ratio. you will have to run premium. but you wont need engine management. if you go that route, and dont like your compression that high, use the DOHC head gasket, its like twice as thick and will lower your CR a bit. if you want details, take a gander over at nasioc.com and search for "high compression frankenstein"

~Josh~

get em both, rip em both apart, and use the 2.5 crank in the ej22t motor, effectively turning it into a 2.35? and giving more power and torque with the reliability of the 2.2.....

hah i wish if i had enough money. well well see, the ej25 still seems quite nice sine i know where the motor is coming from and the low end torque but if before i see a ej22t for sale, i will definately check it out. im wondering if the wiring would be very different from the 200 wiring of the ej25?