Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tire to front strut clearance 97 Legacy OBW?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 a97obw

a97obw

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 01:48 AM

I just happened to take a look today at the clearance between the front tires and the OEM front struts I replaced a couple weeks ago on my 97 Legacy Outback. I made note of the alignment bolts at the hub connection and put them back in the same spot with the new struts. Car drives fine for now, but plan on taking it in for an alignment. Anyway, with the stock aluminum 15" wheels and the garish Michelin white letter tires that were OEM, there is practically no clearance between the inner side at the top of the tires and the strut.
Anybody got a 97 that can give me "finger measure" on this? Thanks!

BTW....I was using the search feature for this and ran across a thread about replacing the axle assembly on the passenger side---the side above the cat (and on the 92 right above the oxygen sensor) and as I did this also a week ago, instead of getting under the car and driving the roll pin up, try putting the top of your punch in a socket that just fits, then add about 2 feet of socket extensions and drive it out from the top down. Works great!

#2 LosDiosDeVerde86

LosDiosDeVerde86

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Columbus

Posted 04 December 2005 - 07:59 AM

my 96 legacy (with outback struts) has tires that are one size bigger than outback tires and there's pleanty of room there.

in the end (assuming you didn't get regular legacy struts instead of outback) if a mm keeps things separated that's really all you need.

you could show us a picture

#3 Ranger83

Ranger83

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 740 posts
  • Northeast

Posted 04 December 2005 - 08:07 AM

// Anyway, with the stock aluminum 15" wheels and the garish Michelin white letter tires that were OEM, ///

Take them to a tire shop and have them flipped on the rims so the RWL are on the inside....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users