Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

measure your drive shaft

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wounded brat

wounded brat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • northwest wi

Posted 03 December 2005 - 11:13 PM

I have recently put a d/r 5spd turbo trans in my 86 brat. it had a d/r 4spd but get this the 5spd is 10 inches shorter than the 4spd was so what i need is to find out what models sport a 55inch rear drive shaft single piece or two piece it doesnt matter

#2 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,932 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 03 December 2005 - 11:23 PM

All the ea82 models except maybe XT/xt6 have the same wheelbase so you could use the 2 piece from them but you would have to add a center bearing mount. I just took my Brat driveshaft down to a shop and had them lengthen it.

#3 TurboXT

TurboXT

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Lakewood

Posted 03 December 2005 - 11:37 PM

Let me be the first to say, that title is a little wrong.

That is all.

Rick

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 03 December 2005 - 11:47 PM

any 4wd 5spd ea82 driveshaft will work wether it be 3-door, sedan, wagon, or xt as a single range, dual range, or full time 5spd

you will have to make a mount for the carrier bearing.....

#5 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,994 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:42 AM

woa!!

northwest wi??? Where?! I'm in duluth...I didn't know there were other people up here who cared enough about these old cars to do anything with them!

#6 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:58 AM

Have a custom driveshaft made out of the original. Make sure it is balanced. The 2 piece ea82 mod is difficult because there is only very flimsy metal (the bed of the Brat) to hold to, and any twist or torque through the driveshaft will carry onto the weld on the bed - potential for bad juju.

#7 bratsrus1

bratsrus1

Race car

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Selah Washington

Posted 04 December 2005 - 12:05 PM

Hey brat This is Jerry, just bring your old drive shalf to a drive line shop and tell them you want 51 inches of new tubing install in it and have it balance. Problem solved. For the brats and wagons the lenght is 51 inches and the hatchback is 48 inches of new tubing. Thanks Jerry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users