Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 1998 subaru legacy wagon is making a subtle sound when i give gas to it

hey folks!

I've been reading threads from this board all day, it is great!!

I acquired a 1998 subaru legacy wagon (brighton) which I LOVE TO DEATH!!! it has 353,000km on it but the previous owner treated this car like a mommas boy times 2!!!

When I got the car I also got the service records with it, and maintenance was done at all required intervals!! last major service was done when the car was at 296,000km (she got the 96,000km service done on it which included all belts, etcetcetc) (i've obviously done oil changes on the car since then as well)

ANY WHO.....when i accelerate or apply gas to the car, I can hear a subtle sound...it's kind of like a clicking sound, it's hard to explain...it's been like that since day 1 and it hasn't really bothered me....the car is performing 100% perfect without any problems. any idea what it could be??

I'm not a big car person (well not yet anyway) but i've been reading up on all this stuff and im really getting into the whole lingo and accustomed to everything - so anyway if anyone could shed light on the idea that would be great.

ALSO one quick question regarding the timing belt> it has been replaced at 296,000km. Should I be looking to replace it 96,000km down the road, or is 120-160,000km ok? (i've read different answers from different people and I never see a consistent answer.)

THANKS FOLKS!!

ANY WHO.....when i accelerate or apply gas to the car, I can hear a subtle sound...it's kind of like a clicking sound, it's hard to explain...it's been like that since day 1 and it hasn't really bothered me....the car is performing 100% perfect without any problems. any idea what it could be??

Please tell us a bit more about this "clicking" would you? does it follow the speed of the engine? is it a fast click, ir does it sound significantly slower than the engine? Can you hear if it is inside the cabin, or does it sound like it is in the engine? is this clicking only under load, or can you make it happen when sitting still? These answers will help us pin the noise down, and fix it if needed.

ALSO one quick question regarding the timing belt> it has been replaced at 296,000km. Should I be looking to replace it 96,000km down the road, or is 120-160,000km ok? (i've read different answers from different people and I never see a consistent answer.)

THANKS FOLKS!!

That depends on the timing belt used in the last change. From the sounds of things your car is fitted with a timing belt that has a service interval of 96,000km. Ignore this interval at risk of destroying your engine. If the timing belt fails on your car while the engine is running, internal parts will impact against other internal parts making for a very large repair bill. The cost of replacing the belt at 96,000km is minor in comparison. How much do you want to gamble on the belt lasting longer than the stated interval? Yes, the belt will probably last 120,000 or maybe even 160,000km. probably. Is probably good enough for you, considering the cost if it does not? There are belts designed to go 160,000km as the service interval, but I do not know for a fact that they are available in your area. Find out what the service interval is for the belt that was fitted, and go with that figure.

Hey Gnuman,

Thanks for the fast reply! I'll be sure to replace that belt around 96,000km.

Regarding the clicking sound, the more gas I give the car the faster the click. I hear it inside the cabin; although it sounds as though it is coming from POSSIBLY the engine. Regarding sitting still: it only seems to happen when I am in D and giving the car gas, but I have yet to rev it in Neutral so I'll give that a shot and report back.

Thanks again!

Please tell us a bit more about this "clicking" would you? does it follow the speed of the engine? is it a fast click, ir does it sound significantly slower than the engine? Can you hear if it is inside the cabin, or does it sound like it is in the engine? is this clicking only under load, or can you make it happen when sitting still? These answers will help us pin the noise down, and fix it if needed.

Clicking first made me think it could an exhaust leak. A leak around the manifold gasket will often make a clicking/ticking sound. Open the bonnet and rev the engine by hand, you should be able to trace it easily if you leak.

You could also be hearing piston slap, which is a slighty metallic Diesel-like noise.

• 2 weeks later...

hey, that clicking noise you hear when u give ur car the gas while in drive is the axles makeing that noise. My moms 02 Subaru Outback had that clicking nosie u have when u give the car the gas. Its front axles were replaced and it quit making the noise. So take ur car in and get the axles checked out. I hope this helped

Clicking is often a sign of worn outer CV joints. Does the same clicking occur when the car is revved in neutral while stationary? If not, sounds like either a drivetrain or CV joint problem, most likely the joint. Does it come from one side or the other? Check the outer boots for tears or cracks. I'll bet you'll find one or both torn. Replace the entire half-shaft.

You're in Toronto. You can try Lucky Star Auto http://www.luckystarjapanese.com/

I had a CV boot replaced there before. The mechanic was good, the guy at the desk a jerk.

Good luck

hey, that clicking noise you hear when u give ur car the gas while in drive is the axles makeing that noise. My moms 02 Subaru Outback had that clicking nosie u have when u give the car the gas. Its front axles were replaced and it quit making the noise. So take ur car in and get the axles checked out. I hope this helped

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

First post, and I'm really impressed with the amount of knowledgable people here. Got a question regarding what may be a similar clicking noise, which so far, I can only hear upon acceleration. I just recently got an '03 OBW, and I've been liking it so far. When the engine is cold (ie sitting for >6 hours or so), I hear a regular clicking or tapping sound from the left side of the engine upon acceleration which have the following characteristics:

1.) The sound increases in tandem with speed while under acceleration, but disappears if I return the throttle to idle.

2.) The tapping ceases once the oil has reached operating temperature - usually a few minutes after the temp gauge reaches ~1/2 mark.

3.) The sound is fairly faint - the radio has to be at low volume, or off. Normal radio or conversational volume drowns it out.

Again, I want to reiterate that as far as I can tell, this tapping is NOT present (at least audibly) when the engine is cold and idling -- only when cold and accelerating, and disappears once the engine reaches operating temp.

I've been reading a lot about the piston slap issue with the 2.5s for a few hours, but after stumbling onto this thread, I'm not sure if this is indeed piston slap, or worn CV joints, or something else.

Thanks

Easy test for piston slap. If it does it with the car parked and reving the negine it is probably slap. The CV joints can't make noise when they are not moving.

My slap is gone in about a minute but it does not get that cold here.

Hmm...well, it doesn't sound like it's making the noise if I rev the engine in neutral when it's cold. At least I can't hear the noise from within the passenger compartment, or from the outside. Can only hear it when I open up the throttle to accelerate (around 2000-2500 rpm)

Does the tapping from a bad CV joint disappear after things warm up, or is there all the time?

I'll let someone who has had more experience with bad CV joints answer that one. I only recall one on a different type of car and it clicked all the time. There are also heat shields that can buzz, but folks don't usualluy describe them as clicking. It's also possible that you are hearing ping or preignition, or as someone said a tappet. Since noises are tough any way I suggest you take it to an indie Subie place and let them listen. They should be able to tell you what it is and help you decide if it is something you need to repair.