Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tree Huntin' (Lotsa' Pics)

Andyjo

Well since the holiday season is coming up we descided that we needed a tree in our house, so we all jumped in the subaru and headed out looking for a tree. It took about 2 hours to find the 'Prefect' tree, but we got a good one.. we think...

The first hill we tried didn't have much.. and i got pretty bogged down after this pic, but it was a pretty cool view.

10420DSC03964.JPG

Some Nice ATV trails to check out... nice trees to pee on...

10420DSC03971.JPG

Look at all that suspension flex... lol... :drunk:

10420DSC03975.JPG

It got a little muddy under the ice, which i did such a good job breaking on the way in.... (yes, more than 1/2 the rear wheel is under..:grin: )

10420DSC03976-med.JPG

The sign reads "ATV Use Prohibited"...... i don't drive an ATV.. i drive a Subaru :D

10420DSC03977.JPG

Coming over that Lip

10420DSC03978.JPG

Nowhere to turn around... eh.. back out! :banghead:

10420DSC03979.JPG

Finally Found a good tree, and strapped that puppy to the roof.

10420DSC03980-med.JPG

The roof... and the box....

10420DSC03984.JPG

We got some funny looks through town.. i don't know why...

10420DSC03982.JPG

Perfect Fit...

10420DSC03990-med.JPG

It was a pretty good time, only bashed the bottom twice through some icey mud pits, on the hill climb we almost slid sideways into a forest.... for some reason my car doesn't like starting form a standstill, going up a 30-40degree hill in slick snow... i don't get it.. :drunk:

They're Dunlop Graspic DS 2's 205/60/R15

just stock size for the car, but they're awesome in most any terrain. Once i get a set of forester springs secured on this bad boy i'm going to put some BFgoodrich All Terrains on there, spefically the LT215/70/R16/C, 28" diameter :grin: I'm gonna throw them on the forester rims i have...

I'll have to do a little fender cutting/smashing, but i think they'll fit... if the offset it a problem, austin & i talked about making an 1/8" offset plate... i still have to check w/ the shop about that though.

Great pictures!

Like some of the other guys here I find myself nervous about heading out off the road with only one vehicle. I guess you had "recovery team" with you. (pushers). Do you have any type of recovery gear onboard or in that coffin on the roof there? :-p:D

yes, the 'coffin' has many a recovery tool in it.

i've got:

1 full size alloy spare

1 4ft chromoly 1.25"dia .65" tube

2 78" Thule load bars

300ft of static climbing rope

60 meters of dynamic climbing rope

150 ft of webbing

2 17kN pullies

1 or 2 tow straps

3 shovels, 2 plastic snow shovels, 1 metal everything shovel

Lots of fireworks

Jumper cabels (not very useful w/ one car...)

2 quarts 10w-30 motor oil

1 quart ATF

Brake fluid

1 liter diff oil (80w-90)

1 can wd-40

1 can PB Blaster

More fireworks

1 3ft crowbar

1 tool box filled with tools

1 drill case filled with cordless drill & accessories

1 electrical kit

1 Gallon of gas (in the trunk, not box)

a bunch of 2x4's

some flares

spare warm clothes

and a bunch of other crap...

yes the car leans to one side when i have it offset..... The cool thing is that i still have alot of extra room in there :brow: almost enough for a small family of canadians!

I'm still thinking about buying a hi-lift jack for those pesky tire blow outs... since my stock jack doesn't reach all the way now :grin:

Thule says you can't put more than 165lbs on their rack system... i've surpassed that limit 3 fold... a few times :drunk: right now there's about 200lbs of stuff in there...

when i get home tonight i'll find the pictures of when i drove up to school... 2 17" touring kayaks, 1 bike, and the box full on there... just the roof... then there was a bike on the back hatch, and a full trailer :brow:

let's just say i changed my tranny fluid the day i got back... and damn was it gross! (i averaged 18mpg.. heh..)

Great pictures!

Like some of the other guys here I find myself nervous about heading out off the road with only one vehicle. I guess you had "recovery team" with you. (pushers). Do you have any type of recovery gear onboard or in that coffin on the roof there? :-p:D

Yeah. Two vehicals is always safer. But the problem is that whenever I'm with someone else, they don't want to push it. Especially in the spring when the roads are mostly melted off, except for last drifts. You can often plow through em, but only if you have a second vehical to pull the first out after you jam it into the snowbank. We had a toyota pickup and 4 runner, and I was all for charging the pickup into a 2' deep x 20' wide snowbank across the road but he wouldn't commit to pulling me out after I got stuck.

I bet if it had been two subarus, I bet we would have gotten through.