Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help on purchasing/price of Brat

OK, here's the deal...been looking at several Brats lately, and realatively new here so would like some ideas on fair price range for one particular Brat...

'86 GL Brat, 170,000 miles.white ext, blue int, new catalytic converter, new clutch & press plate, new weber carb, new water pump, new wheel bearings

Accident free, non-smoker, white spoke wheels, camper top, little rust in usual spots...wheels wells, small amount under doors, bed is solid...was his daily driver, getting married and bought a van so guy is wanting to dump...

Talked him down to $800, claims he cannot go more as he put $$$ into the Brat...had been driving it daily until about 7 months ago...

I've seen so many comments about Brats for under $500 I wonder if I am getting a good deal???

By the way I am in KY...and I have found VERY few Brats or any Subies in my area....ARRGGHHH!!!!!

Thanks...Shane

OK, here's the deal...been looking at several Brats lately, and realatively new here so would like some ideas on fair price range for one particular Brat...

'86 GL Brat, 170,000 miles.white ext, blue int, new catalytic converter, new clutch & press plate, new weber carb, new water pump, new wheel bearings

Accident free, non-smoker, white spoke wheels, camper top, little rust in usual spots...wheels wells, small amount under doors, bed is solid...was his daily driver, getting married and bought a van so guy is wanting to dump...

Talked him down to $800, claims he cannot go more as he put $$$ into the Brat...had been driving it daily until about 7 months ago...

I've seen so many comments about Brats for under $500 I wonder if I am getting a good deal???

By the way I am in KY...and I have found VERY few Brats or any Subies in my area....ARRGGHHH!!!!!

Thanks...Shane

it's going to be very rare to get a gen2 brat for under $500 these days....

rust is most always the deciding factor....... on price.....

a Totally rust free one, with a prior salvage title, but similar age/mileage as the one you are looking at, (but with a 5 speed conversion and rear disc brakes went for over $4k on eBay....

also in the mix. how hard are they to come by in your area, and how bad do you want one....

I bought my first '84 Brat four years ago with less on it than yours but in similar condition for $1300 and was glad to get it. I just bought a second pristine '84 Brat in excellent condition and absolutely rust free for $2500. If you have this guy down to $800, you'd be foolish not to jump on it for $800 IMHO. There are people in the northeast who would kill for the buy you're getting. Best of luck with it.