Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Nasty wheel noise dissapears....could I be ok for now?!?!

I have an '84 GL wagon 1800 FWD and there was an ugly, nasty griding noise when turning hard right circles. It sounded just as if the tire were rubbing the frame. I had recently changed the steering knuckle and packed extra grease into the bearings before I aseembled things. At first the axle castle nut backed off or the bearing loosened up to where I'd get a "clunk clunk" noise when travelling in gear at speed. I torqued the castle nut to specifications but had to go even tighter to get the cotter pin hole lined up. Soon after I got this ugly noise. I was told that too tight of a castle nut can be as bad as too loose. So I removed the nut and torqued it once again this time taking care to get as close to spec as possible without going past or having issues with lining up the cotter pin hole. Now it turns fine with no noise at all. Very few miles were put on the car with the nut too tight and only a few more with it too loose. Is it possible my car will be ok for a while or am I gonna have to put new wheel bearings in it ASAP?

Its hard to tell, it depends how over torqued things were. If there was no play in the wheel after you re torqued it, you may have cut the bearings life, but not destroyed them. Subaru bearings are over enginered for what they do. One other warning, there is such a thing as too much grease.

nipper