Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good reman axles

Guest stephenw22

Guest stephenw22

I was recently referred to a parts dealer by a mechanic friend of mine. So far, he's been fantastic, and he's made his greatest find ever!

They're reman axles, but come with a BRAND NEW outer joint. (READ: Reman price, new quality)

I'm picking them up tomorrow, and they're going in next week. If they're any good, I'll find out exactly who makes and sells them.

(extra off-topic rant: It's so nice to finally be talking with a parts guy who knows what he's talking about, and not just what the computer screen says to him)

Guest Rooinater

i've never had problems with the reman outer stubs, the inners always die before they ever have a problem. but let me know who makes them and how much. because if they have new outers that's what i'm going to need when i do my axle modification!! so keep me informed email me or post it here.

I probably just got the lemon of the bunch, but the cv I got from constant velocity was JUNK. It leaked grease from the inner boot and made worse sounds than I have ever had a cv make, and I have let them go pretty far. Just my two cents, but I'm sticking with NAPA from now on.

Doris

Guest Rooinater

i usually stick with pap axles. cvaxles.com i killed 2 axles in a week. it was leaking from the boot seal in the first place then water and boot breakage, and bye bye axles. i killed the 3rd one at the HPSS.

Guest Rooinater

yes they replaced one. but do to offroad use and the cost to send them back and forth to florida, was way too much. 3 axles in a little over 2 months that was bad. but if i can't find axles in AZ then i'll back through them. but i did not have a good first time with them. the people were very nice. but too send an axle that far when this car's a daily driver?? maybe when my car becomes a trailer queen. it would be a little easier to do

Guest stephenw22

The axles are made by Mevotech ( www.mevotech.com ). In a tech bulletin on their website, they talk about their CVX series of axles.

Some highlights from the bulletin:

- New, redesigned outer joints that are better (supposedly) than OEM joints

- New spindle nut with each axle

- Limited Lifetime Warranty

The axles I bought look pretty good. The axle shafts are turbos (3 rings), and the outer joints feel really smooth. Fit and finish seem to be better than the NAPA axles I was running before. I'm still a little skeptical about the long-term quality of these axles, but we'll see how they hold up over time. They retail for CAD$165 + $75 core, but if you know a mechanic, or have connections with a parts store, you can get them much cheaper (around $100, maybe even less)

The axles, and a brand new (i.e. not reman) clutch are going in next weekend. My wife will be the primary driver of the car, so it will be a true test of durability, as she tends to be a little harder on cars than I am.

Guest UltimateRX

All the axles that I have replaced are from <strong>cvaxles.com</strong>, I now have over 20,000 miles of one set I purchased from them, the boots are still good and there is no noise from them. These axles are in my turbo, everyday driver. I have a non-turbo 3.90 ratio D/R tranny behind the turbo engine, so these are not turbo axles, yet they are on a turbo car, that means that get more then their fair share of abuse, yet they keep on going. I have done many hard lauches on pavement (spinning the tires in first and second gear) as well as a few 4 wheel drive lauches on gravel.