Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have an '03 Forester. I want to install a T in the heater hose so I can flush the coolant. Not sure which of the two heater hoses going to the firewall to cut. Anyone know?

I did exactly that a few years ago with no problems.

I think you cut the hose that brings the fluid to the heater (inlet). I dont remember which one it is but I will look this afternoon if nobody chimes in with the answer and presuming it's placed the same as in your car.

Moreover the opening on top of this T is very helpfull, in team with the bleed screw on the rad, to get rid of air pockets in the cooling system. It's a good idea to place the T at the highest point possible.

I believe...

Don't make any difference which hose you cut, there's no valves or anything to keep the water going one way or the other.

Do the easiest one to get to.

The writings on the prestone kit I used recommended one specific hose. I presumed there is a difference. No valves? and the thermostat?

If you cut the input hose to the heater core and install the fitting there, the water you flush with will go thru the heater core. If you install it in the output hose, it won't go thru the heater core.

It really won't make a diff, there's hardly any water/coolant in the core compared to the whole system capacity.