Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear lockout hubs ?

Rollie715

I just got this crazy idea, but I'm not sure if it has any merit, as I haven't even looked at the rear hubs to see how they are built.

I'm thinking if the rear hubs are supported by their own bearings and don't rely on the axle for strength, then possibly the splines could be reamed out and a lockout hub fabricated to the outside so the rear axles could be switched into freewheel mode similar to how many four wheel drive rigs have on their front axles.

Then I could weld up the rear dif for a locked rear axle, but would still have the freedom of a very street drivable vehicle on the road.

I know this sounds crazy, but I think I will look into it when I get home tonight to see if the rear hubs can even possibly except this kind of modification.

Rollie

I just got this crazy idea, but I'm not sure if it has any merit, as I haven't even looked at the rear hubs to see how they are built.

I'm thinking if the rear hubs are supported by their own bearings and don't rely on the axle for strength,

then possibly the splines could be reamed out and a lockout hub fabricated to the outside so the rear axles could be switched into freewheel mode similar to how many four wheel drive rigs have on their front axles.

Then I could weld up the rear dif for a locked rear axle, but would still have the freedom of a very street drivable vehicle on the road.

I know this sounds crazy, but I think I will look into it when I get home tonight to see if the rear hubs can even possibly except this kind of modification.

Rollie

good luck, your not the first guy who thought this would be a great idea, , you would only need one with a locker, what most guys do is remove a axle for street driving, takes a few minutes and 2 roll pin removale

Do it, document it, then come to my house and do it on my car!

Pioneer it buddy. It's a good thought, but all I've heard of on the board is the idea, but no-one actually trying it (correct me if someone has done it).

I want to see pic.s and a write-up in this thread w/in a few months! :drunk:

Not going to happen, not with stock stuff. The rear hub is splined directly to the stub shaft, which is in turn supported by the bearings. You would have to come up with a way to support the rear hub in it's own set of bearings, then make a pass through that the stub would go through, then make the clutch assembly that would bolt to the hub and lock in the stub to supply power. Unless you have a CnC machine, mill, lathe, and a lot of time on your hands, it's not something that you can do in your garage on a weekend, or a month of weekends.

I looked at the rear hubs tonight and tend to agree with Adam. I still like the idea, but think I will not pursue it much right now as it may involve too much work.

One idea tho if someone was to pursue it, maybe they could cut the rear axle shaft and put on some kind if locking/freewheel mechanism that would be easier to shift then removing and reinstalling the whole axle as I have heard some people are doing.

Rollie