Ultimate Subaru Message Board

heater core dead, snow on the ground......

well, its a little chilly to be doing this outside, and my dad will want to know how long im going to have his garage if i do it inside, so, how long will it take me to change out a heater core on a 90 legacy?anything i should look out for?

As I understand it, the bulk of the work here is removing the dash to access the heater core. Besides that, it's a matter of disconnecting the two hoses from the old and connecting them to the new. Or probably replacing the hoses while you're in there. I haven't done it, but I don't see why it wold take a long time. However, I have said this my share of times and wound up with my car occupying my mom's garage for longer than expected....much longer.

I just did this operation last weekend, same make 90 legacy, and its a long hual, especially if its a solo project. ie, grab a buddy (for moral support), and a Chiltons Guide.

Most of it can be done with a screwdriver and a socket set, and Sid is right, that the most of the labor is in taking apart the dash. Have your replacement core ready, I think all the 90-94 legacy model HC's are the same make.

I'd say with no guidance and experience doing this its probably 8-12 hours of work start to driveable keeping it mind that popping vents and undoing screws are the first few hours.

Here's some tips for the job.

1. When it comes to getting the dash out of the car (you have to take it all the way off), there are two vertical bolts on the stearing column 9 inches from the steering wheel that will allow the whole column to drop 8 inches and allow you enough space to pull the dash out of the passenger side door.

2. Don't unhook the hoses that run from the engine to the heater core until you're all the way in there. this will allow you to possibly see where the leak is coming from and allow you to work on the car multiple days.

2a. When you come to the directional vent located in between the HC and radio, look closely and the left side where are the tricky levers and vent arm controls are, so you can easily put it back together again.

3. Test your replacement core, especially if its used. and test it after installation to make sure the leak isn't still there.

4. Once we got all the way inside, we couldn't release the HC casing, but loosened the unit (A/C I think) connected to the right of the HC and after some careful yanking it released.

We even had to take up the stickshift, and armrest to release the lower console and access bolts holding the dash down. its like a great big puzzle.

Other than that, start early and be patient. It's a long haul to the center of your car.

Hmm... a '90, you say? You could fix it, but there's an easier (but less good) way.

The JC Whitney Catalog, among others, sells a 12V electric heater.

Plumb your heater core out of the coolant system, glue this to the dash, and plug it in to the cigarette lighter port. It is cheap, it may be adequate, and it's a heck of a lot less time-consuming than actual repair.