Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another "No Spark" Thread

My EA81 hatch died on me in the parking lot at school the other night. Thing was acting like it wasnt getting fuel but i had a friend give it gas and I looked into the carburator and it was getting fuel, so we got the idea that it was the ignition coil, so i changed it out just now and nothing happened, engine still turns over and doesnt fire up. Pulled one of the spark plug wires to see if it would shock me to see if it had fire and nothing happened. Just so everyone knows it was like 20 degress F, -6 C. So...what could it be? I read the thread that just went through and I don't think me and him are having the same problem so, I dont know.

Also check to see that voltage is getting to both sides of the coil with the ignition on. If that is ok the problem is in the disty.

Well before this happened I use to hear a ticking sound and that has since quit, I checked the rotary button under the dizzy cap and it moved so I know the timing chain isnt broke because it let out a good backfire before it was down for the count, so what was the ticking sound, im hoping its the dizzy.

I had a simalar problem with my loyale, changed the valve cover gaskets and when to move it the next day and it would turn over but not start.

Not sure if it would matter while its running, but there is a resistor under the ignition coil, thats what went bad on mine.

Anthony

Coug-

Here we go again!

I'm with you on this one. Start with the coil, and then work your way towards the problem. If you determine the coil is fine, then you can start worrying about the disty, or if you aren't getting power to the coil, you can follow that back.

Did you check for voltage getting to both sides of the coil?

cold weather 20 deg

I havent checked the voltage on the coil yet due to lack of time, been driving my toyota instead (missing ole' red). Im thinking that it might have jumped time so instead of going through all that garbage,also it has a burnt valve on the number one cylinder. I found a severly rusted 83 Brat with dual range 4x4 for $250 so I am going to buy that for the motor due to it only having 50,000 miles. I wont need the tranny or the body of the brat so....Anyone want to buy a rusted through brat with a dual range tranny? Anyone know what I could out of one off ebay?

Ok, follow up. Went and checked all the fuses, nothing, pulled the cap of the distributor and cleaned all the connectors off, nothing. What could it be, something I did notice is that the coil that autozone sold me was a bit smaller than the OEM one i had on the car, could this be affecting anything? Also when i had the switch in the run position I could hear a repetitive clicking underneath the hood, what was that cause it has quit clicking and I believe that is the cause of my misfortune.