Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Back firing

what cause back firing.. i got a 2 inch header's to a cat then from there a 2 inch all the way back to a chrome cannon. it happen's when changing gear's when letting the foot out and then pushing your foot in the cluch it goes pop pop.??

Any help would be greatfull

clint.

Kinda sounds like what mine was doing when I installed the duals. Do you still have the ASV system hooked up? If so, you need to pull the hoses off of the breather can, and plug them. Or, just remove the system, period. Couldn't figure that one out myself, had to ask here on the board......

Originally posted by TomRhere

Kinda sounds like what mine was doing when I installed the duals. Do you still have the ASV system hooked up? If so, you need to pull the hoses off of the breather can, and plug them. Or, just remove the system, period. Couldn't figure that one out myself, had to ask here on the board......

Asv system is that the polloution system? whats the breater can? what you mean plug them block them?

clint.

ASV system- Part of the Catalytic Converter system. Adds air to the exhaust to assist the cat in doing it's job. If you remove the cat, and don't block off the ASV tubes, you have extra air in the exhaust. Which causes the back-firing.

Look at your exhaust where it bolts to the head. Follow those metal tubes up, and you will find the rest of the ASV system. Off of that, is 1, or 2 hoses that go to the breather can, AKA- air filter canister, on the carb. That's where I blocked mine off. Just pulled them from the breather, and stuck a plug in the hose, capped the tube on the breather also. Don't want dirt getting in there......

hey man,

my 90L wagon with a weber pops like that too, exactly as you described. I have blocked the air injection valve with welder. the little injector pipe joins on the left hand bank just where the header joins the block. still pops on changes. sounds kinda cool.... :brow:

You probably need a new EGR vavle (or maybe just clean it), and there should be an anti-backfire valve near the firewall on the drivers side. There's a big tube going to it from the EGR.....

either of these parts will cause backfireing on decel.

I've never heard of the AIS system causeing this, and I wouldn't think it would - why would adding a little more air to your exhaust cause backfireing? I need a more technical explanation of that one. Backfireing is usually the explosion of unburnt fuels in the exhaust..... I suppose the added oxygen from the AIS might help that along, but I'm not sure.

GD

mine doesn't backfire, it just pops when I take the foot off the loud pedal and change gears. btw I have all of 60hp atw, last time I checked!!! :banana:

the abv wooshes on mine too. I assume yours connects to the back of the manifold on the right ruby? it is an ULP EA81 you've got in your brumbles?