Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4.44's are HERE!!

Vanislru

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I may show my ignorance, what is a 4.44?

Is that a diff gear ratio?

Rollie

Yep, stock D/R trans uses a 3.90 final gear ratio, and if someone could find a way to put 4.44s in a D/R case, THEY WOULD BE A GOD, AND I WOULD WORSHIP THEM FOREVER!!!!!

I think someone did the math, and 4.44's would allow for ~29" tires with the same gearing as 3.90s and 22s....

it'd be like having stock drivetrain, with the clearance of 29s!!!!!!

I'm SOOOO HAPPY!!!!

sorry...

I hope it all works, if it doesn't then I'll piece the d/r back together and hawk the gears on e-bay or something. After the cost of shipping and reselling I might lose a couple hun. but I've DREAMED about better gears for too long.

As far as I understand these are from Japan. Several models of JDM(and a few US cars too) Subaru's use them. Mark(Island Roo) I probly won't get started until mid Jan or later shipping from Japan to US then to Canada at this time of year can't be all that fast, they did figure on 1 month or less tho, but I'd appreciate any help I can get.

I think I creamed my pants when I read 4.44 final drive ratio :slobber: .. thats better than my jeep... if you need any help at all what so ever... OMFG I WANNA HELP... too bad you're so far away. please keep us all posted as you gather information, and your plans/hopes for this project. my uncle has a used transmission shop, I'm wondering what all would go into something like this, cause over the winter break, if i get motivated and have a fairly good idea of what i'm looking for, I might just go through all my uncles crap and mix and match and see what works... he has a LOT of parts just sitting around...

SCWEET!!! :banana:

So .... help the guy with the "moding for dummies" book :D

To do this you have to change the gears in the trany AND the diff? so then you have to get annother LSD diff in my case that is a 4.44? or are you doing some other kind of set-up?

Yes you have to change both, but you keep the gears from the trannie it's only the ring and pinion that have to to be swapped. A fair bit of aluminum removal too with the trannie and the rear diff. All I know about it so far is from reading up on few different forums and rally sites, it'll be I while before I can post pics and have any sort of write up.

Yes you have to change both, but you keep the gears from the trannie it's only the ring and pinion that have to to be swapped. A fair bit of aluminum removal too with the trannie and the rear diff. All I know about it so far is from reading up on few different forums and rally sites, it'll be I while before I can post pics and have any sort of write up.

Ok, so are you using the stock ea81 tranny case or are you having to use a AWD case?

And is $700 so far the total expense?

• 4 weeks later...

Vanislru.....

I've researched this extensively myself as well....Here is what i've found out...

the 2WD Hi-Lo 5speed trany is Not going to allow the 4:44 gear set to marry in as it sits stock...The Pinion shaft bearings sit in different enough locations that EXTENSIVE re-constructive surgury( welding of case,machining of case ) will have to take place....then the other MAJOR issue is the length of the pinion shaft is set up for an AWD model tranny, so it is roughly 50mm longer/shorter than the Hi-Lo trans.....I can't remember......So the tail end of the Hi-Lo box won't marry to it either....

I have talked Person to person with A guy who back in 93-94 Did a 4:11 swap into an RX AWD hi-lo tranny...And in order for that swap to happen he had to use the tail section of the AWD 4:11 trans, and LOSE the center diff Lock that was in the RX tranny.....

I Sincerly hope your Machine Shop guy has a Magic Wand....and can make this Happen....I would Love to see it :D

I have been wanting to post to this for you to have more first hand info, but HAve been Oh so Super busy...:(

Today's the first chance I've had to sit and breath in months....

Hope this brought a bit more insight into your endevor...... :confused:

John in Oregon......

Yeah, I'm pretty confident some major reworking will have to be done too. As long as I don't screw the R+P's trying to do it then I'll only have messed a d/r trannie, that's really cheap.

Now that the Christmas shipping gong show is over I hope to see those R+P's soon.

I want to make it happen. If it takes alot of time so be it. $$$ too well... I just hope It's not too bad and it becomes something that others can do too.