Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4.44's are HERE!!

Vanislru

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have them but haven't been able to install them yet, moved twice and pregnancy complication have kinda gotten in the way. I'm contracting, stand in mom, dad, pretty much WOT right now. Oh yeah work too.

I cringe whenever I look at the D/R in the shop, timing can be a real ***************

Hi the names Regan and if you need any help ill be glad to do it just to see if you can make the 4.44 work in some sort of D/R gear box i have several EA D/R + S/R and EJ trannys apart and even a EA RX D/R tranny a forester and a RS EJ tranny .

I live in Kelowna and if i ever get around to going to the Van. island i could drop off any thing you need to make this work , i have family in Victoria .

you guys need to check out the aussie subaru site. I remember seeing quite a few EA series cars with 4.11 and 4.44 gears in the trannys

for somereason the farther sound you go, the eaiser the soob moddin gets.

those guys got some crazy rigs

you guys need to check out the aussie subaru site. I remember seeing quite a few EA series cars with 4.11 and 4.44 gears in the trannys

Its not hard to get 4.44 or 4.11s in a sube tranny i have had 2 EJ 4.11 trannys but its hard to get a pinion shaft that is settup for the D/R EA tranny that is actualy a true 4x4 not an AWD, they have diffrent pinion shafts .

thank you rguyver, beat me to it. the EJ trannys ARE NOT THE SAME THING as a the EA tranny. its not, throw the gears in there and it will work. anybody can buy a jap tranny and rear diff, and BOOM you have 4.44 gears and an LSD. i want the 4.44 gears IN the EA tranny. that way i keep the D/R.

~Josh~

... First, down here most rigs can only be 2" body lifted... Because of law.

Normally what aussies do is put the EJ dual range or an EJ auto into their EA car along with a EJ engine (maybe cos we're to scared to use an "adaptor plate" I dunno...)

And another thing I have noticed.

Most subaru offroading Americans use Subies offroad cos their cheap.

Most subaru offroading Australians use Subies offroad cos they want to.

See what I am getting at? You guys don't have the money to spend, we have to much.. Well, thats a little over exaterated, but you get it, right?

... First, down here most rigs can only be 2" body lifted... Because of law.

Normally what aussies do is put the EJ dual range or an EJ auto into their EA car along with a EJ engine (maybe cos we're to scared to use an "adaptor plate" I dunno...)

And another thing I have noticed.

Most subaru offroading Americans use Subies offroad cos their cheap.

Most subaru offroading Australians use Subies offroad cos they want to.

See what I am getting at? You guys don't have the money to spend, we have to much.. Well, thats a little over exaterated, but you get it, right?

I got money into my Soob! Granted, its not offroading but its more money that I could have possibly imagined into a '80 turbo'd Subaru!:eek:

I got money into my Soob! Granted, its not offroading
Exactly.

I dunno about others, but when I offroad my subie I treat it like...I would a Kia?! So I don't want to put to much money into it. I think maybe others are the same, in the US anyhow. I just get that vibe when I am on USMB...

I got money into my Soob! Granted, its not offroading but its more money that I could have possibly imagined into a '80 turbo'd Subaru!:eek:

I know how much is in mine and I could easily have imported a Legacy GTB for the same amount... (I built this car cause I wanted to.)

• 2 weeks later...

I am building mine because I am sooo tired of hearing about everyone's 4wd lifted trucks that are soooo cool... do something different. but yeah, enough bickering, back to the 4.44's..... what's the latest news?

for 700 bucks, id buy two subarus and just floor them into obsticles.

cant the gears be had out of junkyard cars for alot less?

anybody ever drive a samurai, or a toyota 4x4? even with 31s they crawl about half as fast as a stock(subaru)dual range with stock tires.

tcase mod still seems like the best bet for better gearing.

I drive a Toyota 4x4 and a Subaru. Didn't notice that much of a difference.

Toyota has a 39.1:1 crawl ratio (ref my 1980 Toyota 4x4)

Subaru has a 22.0:1 crawl ratio (ref my 1986 Subaru 4x4)

Both is stock form, the Toy crawls twice as slow.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
I know this is old but thought I'd bump it up to see what became of this project. Did you ever get the 4.44'S to fit in the EA D/R case?

Ditto!! ^ ^ ^

I like scrolling through my subscribed list once and a while to rehash old thoughts.

Did anything ever come of this gearing wet dream??

Inquiring minds want to know :lol: