Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aluminum lift blocks

3eyedwagon

If you have the answers then why are you asking the questions? If this is just a poser(your words) then why are you worried about 10-15 lbs. Yes, that's about the most you could possibly save in weight reduction. Besides, by mixing aluminum with steel bolts you will get a dissimilar metal corrosion. I would be far more worried about that then cracking on a street poser.

If you ask the question you should be prepared to accept the answer. If you are not then do not ask the question. You have gotten responses from 3 lift kit manufacturers. Not to mention some who have built there own lifts and rigs.

So far, genius, the only one who has answered any thing relating to my question is OZified. I wanted to know if anyone has experienced any cracking with aluminum tubing. NOT that YOUR SYSTEM is the best! Also, unless you were to grind the mill scale off both the bolts and the aluminum, you wouldnt have any problems with "dissimalar metal corrosion". My question is not if a solid cast aluminum lift kit would weigh as much as a steel tubing kit, it is about cracking of aluminum tubing. We all know that 50 lbs of steel tubing and 50 lbs of cast aluminum blocks are going to weigh somewhere in the same neighborhood. SARCASM. IF there is no problem with stress cracking of aluminum tubing, then I believe I can make a FAR lighter kit than what is offered, also for a fraction of the price. However, I did want to investigate knowledgeable peoples experiences to see if they had had any problems with ALUMINUM TUBING. As I figured this would be a wise thing to do before beginning my project. Thank you for your time.

Yeah, I know, 50 lbs of rocks and 50lbs of feathers...

You obviously have extensive experience with Subaru's that all the info that was shared with you is redundant. Never mind that I have built my own lifts and have some insight on the whole process to base my (genius) opinion on. (not sarcasm)

Make your better mouse trap. I'm not saying it won't work or even be 16lbs lighter.

BTW, the search button is located at the top of each page in the header. Find it, use it and maybe you can figure some of this out for yourself.

Yeah, I know, 50 lbs of rocks and 50lbs of feathers...

You obviously have extensive experience with Subaru's that all the info that was shared with you is redundant. Never mind that I have built my own lifts and have some insight on the whole process to base my (genius) opinion on. (not sarcasm)

Make your better mouse trap. I'm not saying it won't work or even be 16lbs lighter.

BTW, the search button is located at the top of each page in the header. Find it, use it and maybe you can figure some of this out for yourself.

Well man, I asked an honest legitimate question because I dont have much experience with Subarus. I stated that from the beginning. However, I do have fabrication experience. I didnt join this to be sold everyone elses products so when I was told repeatedly not to even try it, and instead "heres what my kits like, Id reccomend buying one like it!", I thought, what a frickin joke! I just want a little bit of info and so far, two people have responded with pertinnent information and not tryed to sell me anything! What would you expect?

So to OZified and the person who posted about JIBs brat; thank you.

And to everyone trying to sell me your crap;

Sorry, I'm a broke college student, and I wouldnt buy something I could make myself, even if I did have the money.

I'm sorry, did you want us to throw you a pitty party?

Nope, not expecting that, just some pertinnent info without trying to be sold everyones product. If I had wanted to buy someone elses design, I just wouldve made an order while I was at BYB/OZified, Scorpion, or Allied Armament to see how their kits were designed. Anyone can write a check. Thats not why I'm into CHEAP 4x4s.

It seems like almost every post has been pertinent, we have all gotten used to the shady irishman pushing his wares on every unsuspecting person on the net. you asked about an ally lift, SJR showed you his.

You can't fault people for giving their opinion about the lifts, you say this is your first subie, and this would logically be your first subie lift, you even acknowledged that you are a subie noob, maybe you should listen to all those people that have built and run their own lifts, you start complaining about the info you get, you won't be getting any more help here.

Calling Qman a Genius, you're half right, drop the sarcasm and you'd be right on. Of all the people on the board, he'd be the one to have on your side.

It seems like almost every post has been pertinent, we have all gotten used to the shady irishman pushing his wares on every unsuspecting person on the net. you asked about an ally lift, SJR showed you his.

You can't fault people for giving their opinion about the lifts, you say this is your first subie, and this would logically be your first subie lift, you even acknowledged that you are a subie noob, maybe you should listen to all those people that have built and run their own lifts, you start complaining about the info you get, you won't be getting any more help here.

Calling Qman a Genius, you're half right, drop the sarcasm and you'd be right on. Of all the people on the board, he'd be the one to have on your side.

Like I said, I was only looking for information, not to be sold something. I think I started off by not being specific enough in what I was looking for. So Ill admit, that was my own fault. But once I specified what I was after, still, the sales pitch! So Im sorry if I pissed anyone off, but I am a certified welder and have 2 years of a BA finished in engineering, so I do know just a little about things of "structural nature". I just dont know how much torsion and force is constantly being applied at the body mounts. It stands to reason that since Im dealing with body to drivetrain mounting, it would be a significant load! So I dont know whether or not 1/4 walled aluminum tubing will be strong enough for mild use in the snow and trails. I will go ahead and try it because I have a educated guess that with proper trussing and gusseting, it should handle the job just fine, be lighter, and be prettier (if thats a term that should be used to describe anything on a Sub!). I just didnt want to undertake the task if it was going to fail immediately and this was something that you guys knew and had experience with already! Thank you all for your input.

• 1 year later...

The answer to your question is: No, noone's used AL tubing before, give it a try, if it cracks, let us know.

Good luck with it, and make sure to clean the snot out of the AL before welding it ;)

that's my only advice..... but carbon fiber would be dead sexy.... :headbang:

To answer your main question:

I work with extruded Aluminum tube at work.

Both MIG and TIG.

We have built many huge architectural signs out of it.

(hospitals, mall entrance signs ect.)

No problems.

but

We also have used it for trailers and ladder racks.

It does stress crack when put in a torsional load

situation.

Esp. around the weld, due no doubt to the

metallurgical change when heated to close to it's melting point.

If I were to try this I would cut snug fitting internal squares

out of 0.25 plate.

Radius the corners and corner weld them into the tubes.

As you know a cube is stronger than a tube.

Hope this helps.

Good luck, I would much rather work with alloy than steel.