Ultimate Subaru Message Board

here is one. just bought 95 legacy(love it) and weather just turned cold outside. the heat is not strong at all and the car takes long to warm up. When stopped at a light the air blowing out of the heater becomes cool, when driving the heat is warms up(but not as warm as expected). I put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator and checked the radiator level and it seems ok. the fan blows all thru its range(1 to 4) but i was wondering what would cause the cooling of the air coming out while stoped at a light or stop sign. I hope to bring it in this weekend for a heater core flush. any comments or help would be appreciated . also where is the thermostat on these engines up top or down below?

thanks,

david

here is one. just bought 95 legacy(love it) and weather just turned cold outside. the heat is not strong at all and the car takes long to warm up. When stopped at a light the air blowing out of the heater becomes cool, when driving the heat is warms up(but not as warm as expected). I put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator and checked the radiator level and it seems ok. the fan blows all thru its range(1 to 4) but i was wondering what would cause the cooling of the air coming out while stoped at a light or stop sign. I hope to bring it in this weekend for a heater core flush. any comments or help would be appreciated . also where is the thermostat on these engines up top or down below?

thanks,

david

Its on the bottom of the engine. You either have a stuck open thermostat or no thermostat. Look up on ther threads how to burp your engine after you drain the cooling system.

nipper

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all the input. here is how it turned out. whoever put in the last thermostat drilled the crap out of it - with at least 20 holes drilled(why not take it out entirely) also whoever changed the thermostat never bled the system and the cooling system was only about 1/3 full. Now that there is a new thermostat and the system was bled i have excellent heat. again thanks for your help

david