Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Car died on morning commute!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Starkapopolis

Starkapopolis

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:13 AM

Hi all, my 91 Leg LS auto has been running great lately. This morning, at 5:45 am on my way to work, as I pulled off the interstate, the car lost power, the engine was still running, I could rev the engine, but I had no power, like it had been kicked into neutral. I checked the gearshift, it was in drive. I tried it in 3rd and 2nd. Still no push. Pulling onto the shoulder I looked under the engine and had what I think is oil pouring out from under the engine block. It was dark and I was cold and running late, so I parked it and hitched to work. My car is still on the shoulder and I was hoping someone could relieve me that it's most likely a cracked hose or something that is going to cost less than $12.

probably not - because I'm being punished for not starting my Christmas shopping yet.

Any ideas? Car has 122k mi and didn't have any problems prior like this except that I thought I smelled burning oil the last two days...

brian,
Tucson, AZ

#2 zyewdall

zyewdall

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,136 posts
  • Ward, CO

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:35 AM

How was the temperature and oil pressure guages?

Is the oil from the engine or the tranny? If it was still running okay without making horrible noises, I'd suspect you blew a tranny cooler line and lost the fluid in the torque converter, rather than loosing the engine oil.

#3 Starkapopolis

Starkapopolis

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:38 AM

Good question, thanks for asking. It was idleling fine so hopefully it's the tranny cooler line, like you say. I don't know yet, but I'll check this afternoon.

By the way, is that line hard / expensive to replace? I don't have my haynes on me.

Thanks again.

#4 Starkapopolis

Starkapopolis

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:39 AM

Oh, and the temp and pressure gauges were normal at the time - I think.

#5 TheBrian

TheBrian

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Buffalo

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:42 AM

I agree with Zyewdall If you spilled all your automatic transmission fluid on the ground, it would be like being in neutral all the time. But when cruising on the highway, your torque converter clutch locks up, at which point, your transmission fluid plays little role in keeping the car going.

I think you got the $12 blown hose you'd hoped for. Then again, it could be two broken CV axles and a cracked engine block...

#6 Starkapopolis

Starkapopolis

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:57 AM

Interesting - so it'd be like that movie where the city bus had a bomb attached to the accelerator and as long as they didn't slow down, they were fine...

prefering the cheap hose over the cracked eng block solution,

brian

#7 Dickensheets

Dickensheets

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • LOVELAND

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:17 PM

If it is a cooler line, don't buy the part from a dealer!!! It's $30 there.

Go to Auto Zone and buy 6 ft. of oil cooler hose for 90 cents a foot. Then cut to length using the old hoses for guidance. Replace both lines. Buy a handful of hose clamps while at Auto Zone and replace them. Trying to reuse the old Suby OEM clamps is a real headache.

Finally lube the hose ends with a few drops of ATF so they slip on easy.

rd

#8 Starkapopolis

Starkapopolis

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for the instructions! I'll give it a try this afternoon.

brian

#9 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,654 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:57 PM

Yeah, I'd say it's a cooler line too.

You may want to inspect the other lines as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users