Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA82T Turbo Timer Install

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dsmracer

dsmracer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Encinitas, CA USA

Posted 04 October 2003 - 11:41 AM

I hate asking noob questions, but again I didn't see anything in my searches. Is there a write-up somewhere on installing a turbo timer on EA82T cars? Is there a harness adapter available by any chance?

#2 alcyone

alcyone

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Meadville

Posted 05 October 2003 - 06:26 PM

I would love to know the answer to this. It gets annoying waiting - especially when I'm late for work.

Mike

#3 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 05 October 2003 - 07:16 PM

The TT units basicly need three main wires for operation
1) a constant hot (battery voltage) wire
2) a connection after the ignition switch to the wire that powers the ECU and ignition system
3) a good ground

No mention of the manufacturer but some have a "safety circuit" connected to the parking brake dash light (if the brake is released the TT shuts the car down)

To find the mentioned three important wires. drop the trim panel under the st. col. (the one for getting a look at the ECU)

There you will find a bundle of wires coming from the col. They meet in a large black plug. The wires are large gage wires.
#1 from above is the white wire
#2 from above is the blue wire entering the connector from the body harness
#3 is found buy using any body mounted bolt (don't be confused by a screw into plastic) - there is a good one by the hood release handle.
When splicing into these wires I like to use the strip, twist, solder method shown here
Posted Image

Hope this helps, there is no available "plug and play" adapter that I know of, sorry.

#4 dsmracer

dsmracer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Encinitas, CA USA

Posted 05 October 2003 - 11:46 PM

Just what I was hoping for. Thanks for the info.

#5 Subi81

Subi81

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,006 posts
  • Ventura, Ca

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:25 PM

Some links to pages about turbo timers

http://www.geocities...er/ashtray.html

http://freespace.vir...hab.m/Timer.htm

I am sure there are tons more but this might get you started

#6 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 12 July 2004 - 02:35 AM

The TT units basicly need three main wires for operation
1) a constant hot (battery voltage) wire
2) a connection after the ignition switch to the wire that powers the ECU and ignition system
3) a good ground

No mention of the manufacturer but some have a "safety circuit" connected to the parking brake dash light (if the brake is released the TT shuts the car down)

To find the mentioned three important wires. drop the trim panel under the st. col. (the one for getting a look at the ECU)

There you will find a bundle of wires coming from the col. They meet in a large black plug. The wires are large gage wires.
#1 from above is the white wire
#2 from above is the blue wire entering the connector from the body harness
#3 is found buy using any body mounted bolt (don't be confused by a screw into plastic) - there is a good one by the hood release handle.
When splicing into these wires I like to use the strip, twist, solder method shown here
Posted Image

Hope this helps, there is no available "plug and play" adapter that I know of, sorry.

Small correction

The blue wire referenced above is the accessory key position. The one that goes to the IGN is the plain black wire.

#7 Myxalplyx

Myxalplyx

Old Wise and Dumb

• Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • New Castle

Posted 23 December 2004 - 07:40 PM

Who else here have used these instructions to success? Which turbo timers does anyone recommend? I'm getting tired of waiting the recommended 1 minute to shut the car off as well.

#8 Subi81

Subi81

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,006 posts
  • Ventura, Ca

Posted 23 December 2004 - 08:42 PM

I did the one on this page:

http://freespace.vir...hab.m/Timer.htm

Seems to work pretty good only thing about the kit is the adjustment is really touchy. 1/48 of a turn on the variresister and you go from 1 min to 3 min. Once you get it dialed in it works great!!!!!

Good luck

#9 Subarutex

Subarutex

Oldschool Show Queen

• 2,539 posts
  • Mountlake Terrace

Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:07 PM

I used the Apexi TT. Because its small, and has a A/F meter built in. Dual function!

Oh, and I just looked up all the info in my FSMs. In the process of figuring it out, I learned how to hotwire the cars :)

Skip's directions, as always, are pretty dead on.

#10 Myxalplyx

Myxalplyx

Old Wise and Dumb

• Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • New Castle

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:05 PM

I used the Apexi TT. Because its small, and has a A/F meter built in. Dual function!

Oh, and I just looked up all the info in my FSMs. In the process of figuring it out, I learned how to hotwire the cars :)

Skip's directions, as always, are pretty dead on.

Subarutex,

I may be going with the same one as you (Apexi TT). May as well get the two for one deal and I see a ton of them on ebay. Would you mind if I PM you with any questions once I go through installing it? Trust me, it's likely I'll have some. :(

#11 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,881 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:31 PM

gettin me a Greddy TT for 10 bucks plus shipping but the guy says it doesn't work but it did at one time. Meh I can fix it and for 10 bucks for a Greddy, I can't complain. I was goin to ask this question myself until I seen this post. Thanks guys!

#12 Subarutex

Subarutex

Oldschool Show Queen

• 2,539 posts
  • Mountlake Terrace

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:38 PM

Subarutex,

I may be going with the same one as you (Apexi TT). May as well get the two for one deal and I see a ton of them on ebay. Would you mind if I PM you with any questions once I go through installing it? Trust me, it's likely I'll have some. :(

Sure thing! I'll do my best to respond in an informative and timely manner.

#13 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:41 PM

I have some no name japanese TT currently installed. its easier than it looks.

I also have a blitz DCII (new) and an older blitz DCII that all the magic smoke was let out of. :(

I'll be installing the new blitz shortly. Its the cool one with the digital boost gauge :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users