Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I would like some info on Gen I bed caps a.k.a. Toppers

I have seen many high toppers on Gen I's

78driverside.jpg

I am not in favor of them as they make the Brat look "top heavy" in my eye.

Now comes this GEM TOP it is a low profile cap that matches the cab roof line.

brat007.jpg

I like this look - if one must have a cap that is.

Is this a somewhat rare Gen I cap or have I just been missing them?

Thanks for any insight and

Happy Holly Daze

The Gem Top is a metal cap, kinda ugly. They did make a low fiberglass cap that was nice looking, I had one on my '78 Brat way back when. It even had sliding windows with screens.

I have one for the '86 (see my gallery). It's fiberglass and sits at roofline and even accommodates a low roll bar.

Thanks for the replies folks

Mary

I believe the Gem Top in the picture is fiberglass

won't know till next week end

I have a low line on my 86

sidebyside.JPG

I like the look and in this weather (just got 7 inches of the white chit)

It protects "my stuff"

Mick on your link there are no low line caps on the Gen I's

I will assume they somewhat rare?

Thanks for the replies folks

Mary

I believe the Gem Top in the picture is fiberglass

won't know till next week end

I have a low line on my 86

sidebyside.JPG

I like the look and in this weather (just got 7 inches of the white chit)

It protects "my stuff"

Mick on your link there are no low line caps on the Gen I's

I will assume they somewhat rare?

yeah, I haven't seen many low caps... I have a bunch more pics I've accumulated for that page, but haven't gotten around to modifying that page....

the Gemtops are metal. the model number is what's on the back corner. 454 it looks like on yours. I had a Gen2 Gemtop, model 455 (low also) and Syrinx has a 455 on his brat....

my favorite cap (we call 'em toppers in my neck of the woods) was the one I had on my first Brat (86). it was a LEER brand. fiberglass, low, with just a slight rise before the rear door. as seen here.

I really like the white topper on a dark blue brat. I really don't like my high topper on my 86 now. the low Gemtop I used to have on it, was color matched...

Skip, I'm in the process of getting two more gen 1 Brats, one of which has a low topper on it which is still in nice condition IIRC. Unfortunatly, I might not be selling it but I can get some pics of it when I get both of the gems from the owner. I haven't seen one like it before. Its a low topper which is in line with the roof of the cab and its flat until the very back of it where it has a funny looking lip that goes up and then drops down into the back window. Its hard to describe but its freakin awesome since the low rollbar and the Brat seats should fit under it hopefully.

The one Russ describes sounds more like the one I had. It did have a sort of an upward swoop at the back. I also think the windows were a bit narrower in height, but same in length, than the one Mick shows. I don't recall seeing the name Leer on it, but for some reason know the name... I'm old though and it was a long time ago.

Now comes this GEM TOP it is a low profile cap that matches the cab roof line.

brat007.jpg

I have one of these and I have done some research ... If you really look at it, it just dont fit right and it don't follow the body lines... I believe it was made for a dodge rampage... I have seen them on both, brats and rampages, and in a side by side comparison you would see that they were made for the dodge...

PS: I would like to get a low topper for my brat that is if any body around central oregon or Roseburg oregon area has one in good shape PM me Thax.