Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gl-10 Wrx

Alex GL-10

you can get it in there, but motor, tranny mounts will be a pain in the arse unless you are a good welder, also wiring will be another pain in the arse.it would also be costly unless you don`t mind spending $5-10k on a complete drive train, with custom axles and a wrx rear diff.if you have the time and money, it would be an awesome project:)

It won't be quite as bad as you might think.

You will need:

The engine

The transmission

The driveshaft

The rear diff

The ECM

The complete wiring harness from the dash forward

It will be very similar to the EJ22 conversion that has become very popular recently. The motor mounts bolt right up after some grinder lovin'. The transmission crossmembers will have to be combined using a welder, but that's not very hard. The wiring will take you several days to sort out, but it's really quite straightforward if you've got a factory service manual for the donor car. The driveshaft will have to be shortened a little, but it and the rear diff will bolt up. The rear axles from the GL will go right onto the new rear diff. You will need to get front axles from a turbo GL in order to get the right spline count, but once you get those, they will go right onto the new tranny. Shift linkage will have to be fabricated. Cooling system will have to be fabricated...I'm not sure how much they changed to cooling setup in those years, but a 90-92 Legacy radiator can be made to fit into your car with minimal modifications.

For pictures of a completed project like this go here:

http://www.funonwheels.net/

Edit: Sorry, the link can't take you directly to that car. Once you click the link, go to "projects", then click on the "powered by WRX L-series wagon".

i will probably be going the WRX engine route in the very near future.

I've gone through 2 ea82t's in my rally car in the last year. And i'm running very close to stock, just upgraded exhaust, and K&N Filter.

I'm probably going a early JDM ej20G into it, with tranny and so on from a Legacy Turbo.

snowman....it looks fromt he pictures on that page that the transmission sticks very far down....is this the case??

i will probably be going the WRX engine route in the very near future.

I've gone through 2 ea82t's in my rally car in the last year. And i'm running very close to stock, just upgraded exhaust, and K&N Filter.

I'm probably going a early JDM ej20G into it, with tranny and so on from a Legacy Turbo.

snowman....it looks fromt he pictures on that page that the transmission sticks very far down....is this the case??

That's because that car has a 3" body lift, just like mine. My EJ tranny doesn't stick down any farther than my old EA tranny did.

For comparison, here's my current setup. The Australians built a whole new crossmember on their car, but I just welded the EJ mounts to my EA crossmembers.

310EAEJtranny-med.JPG

if you do a 5-lug swap at the same time you will save yourself some pain and suffering if/when you do this. that way you can use the stock wrx axles since they are 25 spline also, should slap right in. the driveline, ya shortened but no biggy. and as always match your front diff ratio to your rear diff ratio......yada...yada...yada....and no way in hell would the EA tranny hold up to an EJ20 turbo motor, a EJ20 in N/A form sure no prob, but not the wrx motor. i bet you would either twist the input shaft(or snap it off altogether) or go through gears like there is no tommorow.

~Josh~