Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater control valve -Brat

My brat has no heat.

I have a new heater core coming in today.

I just now remembered that the EA81s have the heater control valve instead of a diverter flap.

Of course there aren't any HCVs in town, and it's Friday.

Can a heater control valve be cleaned out or refurbished?

Does anybody have a picture of one?

thanks.

there's a pic of one here...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/USRM2/mick-usrm/heatercore/heatercore.html

Dealer only part :) $100-130 depending on where you shop....

I've replaced 2 of them. the first one actually had one of the brass tabs gone that held the valve together, and the other the plastic stopper that slides to direct the flow, had been corroded enough, and the action was compromised.

both had leaked a bit as some point too....

well, the heater was lacking last winter and i replaced the thermostat sometime last spring/summer, and the problem's worse. I don't suspect the thermostat although I have one to put in. The airflow is also weak and the flow directer is kind of screwy, so I need to get into the whole thing anyway.

I just replaced the same thing 3 days ago. The 2 bottom tabs where gone and the thing was completly rusted out though the only reason I wasnt getting heat was the arm that goes to it from the control switch had come off. When it did finaly open it puked coolant all over my feet.

I got a replacement valve from the u-pull-it here for $5. So if youve got a scrap yard near ya Id try there first. Unless you think its repairable.

OK. It seems that the airflow would sort of run perpendicular to the piece that was removed, and the heater core occupies much of the space that piece covers anyway. So when I chop this thing open, that's one less thing to worry about. thanks.

no, the piece(s) I cut out were in bad shape so I just tossed it. the core went in pretty snuggly, so there wasn't much room for leakage.... I may have taped up some stuff, but I doubt it... never had any problems with it.

Hi Jerry.. You and Ed are the patron saints of this board - nobody goes out of their way more to help other people. I want to let you know that I am shipping those trim rings on Monday. I am sending you a PM about the core, thanks a lot!

Hey Andy This is Jerry, i have a 84 turob wagon sitting in my yard we can rob it if you need some parts. I also have a new heater core still in the box if you need it make me some knid of a deal on it. Let me know Thanks Jerry

Hey Ed. Yeah, I'm going to pull some panels off today and see how the widgets move. maybe I'll get lucky and get to skip the core/valve, but i'm not going to count on it. at least it's sunny today.

Low airflow.....maybe a faulty blower. Or if you live out in the country, it's not unheard of if a mouse hasn't build a nest in the air tunnels after the blower. Especially, if you leave crumbs of food in the car on a regular basis like I do.