Ultimate Subaru Message Board

another crazy idea

PeterD

so i seem to have thiese crazy ideas and if you know me i make up alot of them but never have the ball$ to acualy try the crazy idea out. so here is another one.

after working with my dad with an old air cooeld vw. i thought it would be kinda sweet to try and put duel weber carbs on the subaru. probably duel 34 ict carbs.. they should suite the 1.8 well as that is allthe big my dads vw motor is. looking at the hitachi maifold i snaged for my weber dgv install i was thinking that this would almost be impossible. as we have the crazy water line running through the intake maifold. somehow i would have to think of some way to incorporate that water line and the thermostat into the duel carb setup.. also im not sure if that particular carb im thinking of will work with a vacume advance dizzy. get the cam reground to something a little more aggressve.. if possible do a little porting on the head, up the compression a wee bit. could be cool.

althought the subaru head is differnt thatn a vw head.. intake valves on the outside and exhast on the inside.. aircooled vw heads are opposite.. not sure if that would be a problem. any way a nother crazy idea wich i probably won't ever try:-\

in reality this would probably cause the car to fail smog tests if you have to get them done. and its not like this idea is new as didn't subaru make a duel carb motor. aa whatever.

i've been thinking about this myself... how nuts can you get with one of these engines i wonder...?

well here is a thought... this would take lots of time and some good fab work...

make a new intake outa stainless or something... re-route the coolant to cycle without going through the intake... that takes oodles of power outa these engines...(or so i've been told)

make your dual weber set-up...

and heck... if you make your own intake, you could plain the heads to your hearts content! raise that compression throught the roof...:D

ahhhh... so many ideas, so lazy...:-p (not to meantion complete lack of $)

calebz

There were Dual Carb setups for EA71s anyone know if there was one made from the factory for an EA81 or EA82?

i've seen an aussie brat on here with dual carbs... i know they exist... how easy they are to get though...:-\

This idea has come up a few times before, here's some info I posted in another thread, a search will dig up more.

Take a look at what the VeeWee guys have been doing for decades with flat four carbs. Similar engine sizes so the same carbs should work with a little re-jetting, spread bore 40, 45 and 48mm Dells and Webers for dual ports and the 40mm Solexs (“Kadrons”) for the singles. Manifolds are the only issue, but aluminum welds, cuts and files pretty easy.

Here are some links to good VW info:

Basic run down of vw carb options: http://www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles/carbs101.htm

Some pricing on this kinda stuff: http://www.socalautoparts.com/Catalog/CatalogSubCat.aspx

Gary

ive got a fare amount of info on the vw parts but thoes links are new to me and quite helpfull, Thanks!

I have talked for hours with my dad on what he has done, also on what direction we are going to take with the vw bus "project" we have had. it just seems as if fabricating work has stoped alot of cool ideas, the problem i have is too many interests and too many cool project ideas. i have a subaru, a water cooeld vw, and possibly an aircooled vw. still trying to figure out the coolent routing would be a hard. need some good ideas for that.

it has been done my older brother had a ea71 with dual vw carbs back in 91

it had a rubber hose for the coolent cross over

not the best setup daul webers is beter

this would be duel webers ;) or kadrons depending on what will work and whats cheaper.. both good carbs.

also im not sure how you would use rubber hose for the coolent. the thermostat is also built into the intake manifold.

anyone ever thought of using motorcycle carbs? that way you could make it one per cylinder...... make your own intake and have at it.... you would have to connect them all together somehow... say a cable per side to make each side open and close together, and then a rod between the two sides to connect everything together, or just alot of linkage..... could work, it mgiht take awhile to get it to run right, but it would be pretty sweet.....