Ultimate Subaru Message Board

full frame swap

dragonwingsubaru

wasnt sure what section to put this in but i figured here would work, i got some one i know with a 2005 chevy avalanche diesel truck with less than 10k miles on it they are selling for $1000 because it is totaled out by their insurance so it has a branded title, all the running gear stuff is in great shape on it from what im told butmy question is would a 85 ea82 wagon body fit on that frame(if there even is a frame)? basically it isnt worth it to me to fix it because among other things those things are friggen ugly but i would be very interested to try this swap if it is possible, does anybody know if the wheelbase is the same or close for these 2 vehicles??

And it will look just as cheesy. I can accept any mod to a Subaru as long as a Subaru motor is still under the hood. My buddy Lumpycam did a V-6 swap and I have given him a hard time about it. It was built with mud racing in mind though.

I believe that one was for advertising purposes. You'll note the absence of transfer case and drivelines. Only a rolling chassis and the name and phone number of the wrecking yard.

BTW, just my opinion, others may and will vary.

i gotta say looking at that pic though even if it is just an advertisement thing if the wagon wheelbase is close to a brat wheelbase then that avalanche frame will be way to long. basically im wanting rid of my sooby engine and wanting a diesel in it so i can convert that to SVO like my benz, and the sooby diesel motor seems to be not much more than a myth

i gotta say looking at that pic though even if it is just an advertisement thing if the wagon wheelbase is close to a brat wheelbase then that avalanche frame will be way to long. basically im wanting rid of my sooby engine and wanting a diesel in it so i can convert that to SVO like my benz, and the sooby diesel motor seems to be not much more than a myth

I am totally with you on the wanting a diesel. I love the subes, but a diesel would be worth it. I have thought of making a fuel still and going that route.

hey tin soldier, fuel still? are you meaning a biodiesel processor???? im actually going the next route on the veggie conversion, im almost done building my system on my benz and will be using diesel for startup only and switching to straight veggie oil after it reaches the right temp. ive already got over 100 gallons of used veggie sitting around here waiting for me to get this thing done.

to bad i dont really understand the internals of engines a whole lot, it would be nice to just convert a sooby ea82 over to run on diesel but i dont think it could handle the larger compression ratio of 21:1 like my benz has(not that i would even have a clue as to how to do that)!!lol

• 1 month later...

im dredgeing up this topic again rather than starting another 1 about pretty much the same thing,

well as some of you have probably i got most everything in the running gear part of my sooby up for sale, i am doing a full frame swap on it just still undecided on what to go with, i dont want something that looks like that goofy looking brat even if that 1 is just for show. im also undecided if i want to go 2 wd or 4wd, i know just like 2 weeks ago somebody had a 2wd 95 dakota with the v6 and 5spd in it that was a rollover so the body was crap but it still drove great and they sold it for $200 so i missed that 1, but im looking for opinions on what vehicles (frames ) might be an easier bit of work to get the wagon body to lay flat, btw i have an 85 gl wagon, i mainly looking around the idea of a v6 or v8 motor, but also not wanting to spend a fortune on just getting the vehicle just for the frame either so obviously dont want a rare hard to find type of vehicle for this, so does anybody know of anything with at least a somewhat simular wheelbase??? and if i go with a 4wd it doesnt matter if the wheels stick out since theres no legality issues on that here