Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 gl subaru, ea-81, idle problem/vacuum problem?

I'm having problems with my 84 gl subi,

I think there is a possible vacuum leak,(i've checked all of the hoses, everything seems to be in place and correct) car has no mid-range power, erratic idle. I've taken the carb apart and cleaned extremely well. EGR valves seems to be working, all hoses are in tact.

I thought about investing in a Weber 32/36, however if I can I’d really like to make this work without spending more money on it.

If anyone has any pointers, or ideas to try, please let me know.

kevin

I would take some carb cleaner or brake cleaner and spray it around all the areas that could be leaking vacuum. Common areas would be the base of the carb where it attaches to the manifold, the manifold where it bolts to the heads, and the throttle shaft of the carb. If there is a vacuum leak your idle will jump up. Also spray some on different vacuum lines that may be suspect. Mine had a good size leak on the steel vacuum lines that snake under the intake manifold. Hope this gets you started. Good luck and welcome to the board. You'll get plenty of great help here.

Thanks for the welcome and I'm glad to be here! I look forward to helping others as soon as I find a way to get this pile running! :-)

We’ve checked everywhere for possible leaks. Over and over again. Even the places you recommended. Removing the altitude compensator helped a bit, but it's still not running like it should. Its mid range power still sucks rump roast, but it idles a little better, and is slightly more drivable. But overall still junkie. When it's cold runs significantly worse, more so than you might expect for a cold engine. If i don't keep giving it gas for a few minutes it'l just shut off alltogether.

kevin

The only thing that i can think of is that maybe when you had the carb apart you put something together wrong or something got mucked up. Im not saying that this is nessisarily the case. You might have done everything right. But if the carb u started out with was junk it might still be junk. Also if you get those jets wrong it wont run right. Idk im kinda going out on a limb here. The weber seems to be a popular performance upgrade but its kinda pricy. You might want to invest a couple hundred in a guaranteed good carb from roo-builders.

Try looking under the hood in the dark, or just feel around the plug wires while it is running. I was sure I had fuel problems with my 84, until it bit me while I was reaching around the carb. It acted exactly like a fuel starvation problem, with no mid range, but it was plug wires. Russell

Try looking under the hood in the dark, or just feel around the plug wires while it is running. I was sure I had fuel problems with my 84, until it bit me while I was reaching around the carb. It acted exactly like a fuel starvation problem, with no mid range, but it was plug wires. Russell

Oh wow its really too late for me to be responding and ive been studying for tests all day on top of that. I agree with pattianruss; start simple. Check all your wires and plugs. Make sure you have good contact on everything and that your coil is putting out enough spark. If all is good with plugs, wires, rotor, and cap then i would say think about replacing the carb.