Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new brakes, turned rotors.

Guest jon61484

Guest jon61484

So... I'm over at my grandpa's today, and I am borrowing my girlfriend's car. So I take my hub/rotors off, inspect my brakes, and go to town.

Shucks in albany: Sorry, we would do it (turn a rotor for $4 a piece after buying brakes) but we can't fit it on our machine with any of the fittings!

Autoparts in salem: sorry, we don't turn rotors.

Shucks in salem: We'll turn them, $8 a piece after buying brakes... but we won't get to them until tomorrow morning.

Carquest autoshop in albany: yeah, $13 a piece, bring the hubs and your set.

so, semi-organic (to not wear the rotor away as badly as fully metallic!) for $16, $26 in turning rotors (good job!) and my braking is smooth, steering wheel doesn't move viciously anymore at high speeds. It's a great feeling to have a smooth driving car again.

This is a much better price than taking it into a shop.

Andrew: no troubles with e-brake. Fully engaged used to be 8 clicks, now it's 5. before I put the wheel on and I was able to spin the rotors (Open dif...) I pressed the brakes a bunch of times, engaging and disengaging the e-brake. It's all good. I didn't touch the adjustment on the e-brake at all. No locked up car!

Anyhow, it was easy. A little dirty and hard work, but simple.

~Jon

PS: hey dude, I can get your tools to you tomorrow.