Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

alarm problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 97OBW

97OBW

Banned

• Banned
  • 190 posts
  • waxhaw

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:15 PM

just got done offroading with a ton of mud and water that entered into the engine.. for w/e reason my alarm doesnt beep as loud as it used to before i went offroading.. what did i do? the battery is fine( as the car starts with 1 try) i also drove home about 10 miles with all that mud n stuff in it, soo i think the overall car is fine...

#2 zyewdall

zyewdall

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,135 posts
  • Ward, CO

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:17 PM

Mud in the horn? I think it's somewhere by the front bumper or wheel well so it could have gotten packed with mud. Anyone remember exactly where the horn is on the '97?

#3 the_bard

the_bard

Upstate NY'er

• Gold Subscribers
  • 941 posts
  • Rexford, NY

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:53 PM

Haynes Repair Manual says there are two... located behind each headlight. Should be fairly obvious... I remember seeing my right one. Circular, a few inches in diameter.

Does the alarm system use the horn for the "notification" beeps? I was under the assumption that it used something besides the horns, due to the difference in sound. 'Course, I haven't paid all that much attention to it, too...

Update: I went out the this morning to check it... the alarm system does use a different horm for the notification beeps. Stand at the bumper, looking towards the car... it'll be located on the left side of the car, on the left frame area, pointed downwards. Hit the 'unlock' button on the keyfob, and that should point you to where it is if it's kinda hard to see. Fairly obvious on my '97 OBW, though. The horn does point downwards, and it looked like mud/snow might have a chance to spray upwards to hit it..

#4 the_bard

the_bard

Upstate NY'er

• Gold Subscribers
  • 941 posts
  • Rexford, NY

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:54 PM

Bump for updated info /\
|

#5 mwatt

mwatt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Rockville

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:55 PM

just got done offroading with a ton of mud and water that entered into the engine.. for w/e reason my alarm doesnt beep as loud as it used to before i went offroading.. what did i do? the battery is fine( as the car starts with 1 try) i also drove home about 10 miles with all that mud n stuff in it, soo i think the overall car is fine...

First year that used vehicle horn for alarm system was 1999. 1998 and older vehicles use a separate "siren" that looks like a little bullhorn. If it's a Subaru alarm system, that will be attached to the right strut tower and it points downward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users