Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel pump in 86 brat

Hi guys,

My fuel pump changes in tone before (and presumably during and after-I just can't hear it) I start my 86 brat.

Is this a sign that the fuel pump is ready to go?

I also have the pump wired through my cigarette lighter currently(I know there's no safety shut off with that set-up). Might this have anything to do with the vehicle having trouble starting?

Thanks,

Luke

All of my BRATs had varing noises from the pump, with the '82 being the noisiest. I believe it's just the pump reacting to the pressure build-up in the system.

Hard starting issues would be more related to carb or ignition issues, than fuel pump, as the float bowl has fuel in it and pump isn't really required to start engine.

The pump that the carby versions run is an electric diaphragm type fuel pump, this will 'click' quite fast until pressure is built up. This system runs a return line from the carby 'needle and seat' inlet fitting that is a smaller ID than the delivery line. If it runs fine, the pump is fine:D

Cheers

Sixpack

BTW: if you have cold start issues but it runs fine when warm I would be looking at Choke settings, unless they are semi-auto. ie: you put choke on, (pull it out), and it 'jumps' in by itself when a predetermined temp is reached? If it is full auto, (thermal bi-metallic strip), then set the choke at full cold to about 75% closed. Note that when you start a cold Engine on full choke it should not 'choke' itself, (ie chug and blow smoke), if it does the 'fast idle linkage may need adjusting, (this is done by bending the arm that goes to the throttle plate on the primary side to the choke butterfly plate.).