Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Camber/ Allignment Question?

Hi All,

I took my 97 legacy L wagon in to a Merchants Tire and Auto Center for an allignment, rotation, and balance yesterday, as it was past due...

I was told that my left front wheel was very far out of allignment, and that to set it properly, they would have to intall a new camber bolt...apparently, they way the bolt is designed, with the shaft offset from the head, would somehow allow them to make the proper adjustment...

Does this sound plausable. or are these guys jerking me around? Please advise!

I had them allign the car as best they could, and left, as I wanted feedback first, before i spent $109 on a camber nut. As far as the cost of another allignment is concerned, I bought their three year allignment, which is unlimited for the next three years, regardless of what car i have, or if i get new tires or anything, so If need be, I can always go back and have the bolt installed.

Thanks in Advance!

Our cars have a camber bolt already. It's the top bolt holding the bottom part of the strut to the spindle. They either don't know this, or they're trying to screw you.

Either way, camber bolts don't cost $100!!

If they have maxed out the stock camber bolt, and still can't get it aligned, then it sounds like you got something bent underneath. Personally, I'd go somewhere else.

Yes, one of the two bolts holding the strut to the knuckle is "offset" or built like a cam and serves as adjustment for camber (I think it's the top bolt but not sure). I replaced that bolt on both side of the car when I replaced the struts last summer. The problem with the quote they gave you is that this bolt with nut must cost 5$ or 10 $ max. Go to a dealer and ask.

Moreover, I really dont understand how such a massive bolt could be so damaged as to prevent camber adjustment.

Be glad you have a camber adjustment bolt. My 2001 Forester has no camber adjustment mechanism. None. Prev. owner slid into a curb giving the driver's front wheel positive camber. Nothing can be done short of putting it on a Guardian Rack and bending steel. I just drive it as is.

Be glad you have a camber adjustment bolt. My 2001 Forester has no camber adjustment mechanism. None. Prev. owner slid into a curb giving the driver's front wheel positive camber. Nothing can be done short of putting it on a Guardian Rack and bending steel. I just drive it as is.

Can they not fit an aftermarket 'crash bolt'? I've read of many people doing this after lowering a car to bring rear camber back closer to spec. basically its the same as the offset bolt described.

example:http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/65

Hi again,

I wanted to thank everyone who has replied so far, helpful as usaul! Also, to clarify, yes, they do say that the stock camber bolt was maxed out, I just thought it was awfully strange that a new one would cost $109. I've looked the car over, and can't find anything visibally bent...would a replacement camber bolt longer then stock be available anywhere else?

Thanks!

You "should" have a camber bolt. Did it get replaced with a non-camber bolt?

Hi again,

I wanted to thank everyone who has replied so far, helpful as usaul! Also, to clarify, yes, they do say that the stock camber bolt was maxed out, I just thought it was awfully strange that a new one would cost $109. I've looked the car over, and can't find anything visibally bent...would a replacement camber bolt longer then stock be available anywhere else?

Thanks!

A longer bolt won't really do anything. You could get an additional camber bolt and put it in the bottom bolt spot.

here's another camber bolt that will work

http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model=wrx&cat=handling&prodid=223

A longer bolt won't really do anything. You could get an additional camber bolt and put it in the bottom bolt spot.

here's another camber bolt that will work

http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model=wrx&cat=handling&prodid=223

Yep, that will get pretty close - could possibly throw the - um - track or something off. I guess you would be balancing tire wear against some kinda thrust alignment issue. There are also camber plates which could be installed at the top of the struts - likely not required. I guess they confirmed you have no bent struts or links or other parts?

If you have more negative camber - try driving aggressively to even out the wear! hah!

i just put outback struts on my 96 legacy ls awd wagon which through the camber way off but all i did was use the bottom bolt off the old struts which is thinner and put one of those in the top hole and pushed the top in as far as it would go. i had the alignment checked and it was perfect. you can get those bolts at any subaru dealership for alot less than 100.00.

Hi All,

I took my 97 legacy L wagon in to a Merchants Tire and Auto Center for an allignment, rotation, and balance yesterday, as it was past due...

I was told that my left front wheel was very far out of allignment, and that to set it properly, they would have to intall a new camber bolt...apparently, they way the bolt is designed, with the shaft offset from the head, would somehow allow them to make the proper adjustment...

Does this sound plausable. or are these guys jerking me around? Please advise!

I had them allign the car as best they could, and left, as I wanted feedback first, before i spent $109 on a camber nut. As far as the cost of another allignment is concerned, I bought their three year allignment, which is unlimited for the next three years, regardless of what car i have, or if i get new tires or anything, so If need be, I can always go back and have the bolt installed.

Thanks in Advance!

You "should" have a camber bolt. Did it get replaced with a non-camber bolt?

I don't think so. Word is on these newer models (I am talking about the 2001 Forester now).... No camber adjustment mechanism. But truthfully, I have not yet climbed under the car to verify this myself.