Ultimate Subaru Message Board

should i switch oil for winter?

i have a 95 impreza 1.8 with 106,000 miles on it, and have been using castrol 10w30 since i have owned it in april. i live in northeast ohio, and it has been really cold here in the last few weeks, teens in the day and single digits at night. my oil is ready to be changed, and i was wanting to know if i should switch to 5w30 for winter, or just stick with the 10w30 i have been using. the owners manual say i can use either, but wanted to get some advice and opinions from you guys. i was thinking of trying the valvoline maxlife 5w30. from what i read, the "high mileage" oils are a little heavier than regular conventionals.

I reccommend 10w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic. Generally flows better in very cold temps. Also leave it in there for summer too as the molecules are all the same size within the oil and you get better flow at temp as well.

You may want to get an electric block heater too if you plan on keeping this car. It keeps the coolant warm overnite and in the morning your heater will work right away among other things. They are pretty easy to install.

rd 97 obw

from what i read, the "high mileage" oils are a little heavier than regular conventionals.

The 'high mileage' oils also have extra seal-swelling agents in them. I'd skip it if you are free of oil leaks.

I'm using Havoline dino-oil 5w30 this winter. My '98 Legacy L (same engine as you, the 2.2L? maybe?) runs great on it and starts up fine here in Mass. If you want a heavier 30w oil, try the Castrol 'made in Germany' 0w-30 synthetic, it's a heavy 30w and will be even thinner at cold temps.

Any good quality dino 5w30 (ex. Mobil 5000, Havoline, Chevron, others) will likely do just fine.

Ditto on the Mobil1 Suggestion. I'd go with either 10w30 or 5w30. I stick with the 10w30 year round because its flash point is higher, resulting in less oil consumption when driving at high speeds for long periods of time. I haven't had any trouble with it being too thick at cold temps either, and it can get to -20 or -30 here pretty easily in January. If you feel that a lighter oil is necessary, try the 5w30, and if it doesn't start burning more oil, stick with it. If you start going through oil, try switching to the 10w30.

I would also strongly suggest getting both a block heater and an oil pan heater. Having the oil warmed as well as the engine itself gets things lubed up much faster in the morning.