Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 turbo GL: quick battery question

Hi,

For battery cables, does the positive cable attach to the side of the starter or at the front of it(on the tab thingy) ?

I just hooked up a new set of cables and I’m pretty sure how the old cables were on there but I have no reference to double check it is set up right. Haines just ain’t helping. And besides that, there is no juice from the battery at the moment so turning the key gives no indication. Everything is dead – no panel lights, no clicking starter, nothing. But before I use cables or roll start the car I want to double check everything is correct. The fusible link connector is hooked with the cable to the positive pole on the battery.

This board amazes me. It’s been awhile since I’ve been here(on the old board) but my car’s been running well after I got some excellent tips from an archive post a few years ago on EA82 turbo’s that run hot and then chatting with Skip.

As you can tell, I’m no sophisticated mechanic. But working with batteries can be nasty so I thought I would post this.

Thanks,

John

Well, it was almost working.

The car cranks great... but never starts. The fuel pump doesn't come on now. :banghead: That short, few second burst of pump to pressurize the system.

I had to replace the black fusible link. Hope the dealer gave me the right one. Never seen the lights on the dash so bright.

Did something get tripped off when the battery cable broke?

Any suggestions appreciated.

John

put the car in D-check mode(connect the green connectors under the dash).. does your fuel pump cycle on and off every 1.5 seconds? can you hear the ignition relay click over every 1.5 seconds?.. and finally, are you getting any error codes?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I checked the fuses and they were fine. I didn't check the computer myself but had the dealer look at it.

He is saying that the computer is fried. About $700.

I'm a little skeptical but who knows?

I never had the key in when I replaced the battery cables. I did have the cables going to the wrong poles on the battery just for a split second, literally. But I soon found out that the black fusible link was broken(not melted) already anyway.

That's big bucks that I don't want to spend if possible.

I think my dealer does a decent job. I don't think he is trying to get me but I think I'd like a second opinion.

Also, is it possible to get a computer from a salvage yard Subaru?

Thanks for the help,

John

• 1 month later...

Just to follow-up on this. Thanks again for the assistance.

I got a used ECM from World Auto for $200. Had it plugged in and it's running again.

Took some pictures this weekend if you’re interested:

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b35af8606570

Been in So California its whole life. Always garaged. Some paint fade but no rust. Commuter car. On the front is a tow bar from the 1st owner and it has also served nicely as an extended skid plate on a hard bounce or two…:eek:

John

Looks nice.

I feel your pin. My ECU fried a couple of months ago ni my 87 turbo.. Thankfully I was able to get one from a board member. Dealer wanted $650 or so for it.

And thanks for the follow-up. It benefits everyone when someone posts the resolution to their troubles.