Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What engines will bolt into 88 GL Wagon?

Well, I may have found an 88 GL Wagon to build my offroad rig out of, but it might need another engine. One idea I had was to pick up another Sube to use as a parts car with a good engine and swap it into it. My question for you all is what all engines will fit? The 88 currently has an SPFI EA82 with 5-speed. Will other engines from 2WD, Autos, or other years bolt right into the 88?

If so, then I'm looking for leads close to Bellingham WA where I can get an engine.

Thanks

Rollie

Any other EA 82 engine is a direct bolt in, but you may need other parts from the donor car to complete the installation. If you put in a turbo, you'll need all the mechanical parts, plus the ECM and wiring harness, for example. You can put in a newer series motor, but that takes more engineering.

SPFI ones were from '87 (california, '88 elsewhere) to '92 ? I think the '93 and 94 Loyales were MPFi instead of SPFI but not sure on that. The engines are the same regardless of 2wd, 4wd, duel range or pushbutton, or automatic. At least the basic engine -- accessories might be different, and you would probably need to reuse the wiring harness and maybe intake manifold from the one you have now. I've also had trouble switching distributors when I put a '91 engine into an '87 SPFI -- the ECU didn't like the newer distributor, so I just put the old distributor on the new engine and it fired right up.

You can also put an EJ22 in there ('90 and onward legacy) if you get an adaptor plate and the right ECU, for alot more power.