Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So i poured a bunch of acetone in my fuel tank...

I've done a little bit of reading on this, check these articles out. I'm runing a small amount through my car right now, let me know what you think... i'll tell you in a few days how it runs through my car...

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone:Data:sentzmastersmith

Little bit of gas milage or power couldn't hurt right :) i know there are emissions issues around this, i don't recomend going any where near this stuff if you are up for an emissions test...

Acetone is really hard on rubber and other surfaces. It also has a bad habit of evaporating very quickly, not to mention is very flammable, more so than fuel is. If you spill it, it can react with certain clear coats and paints. It isn't that cheap either at 8+ dollars, at least here, a gallon, so the fuel savings would be small if any. I would leave it for cleaning paint guns and thinning and leave it out of my fuel tank.

Acetone is really hard on rubber and other surfaces. It also has a bad habit of evaporating very quickly, not to mention is very flammable, more so than fuel is. If you spill it, it can react with certain clear coats and paints. It isn't that cheap either at 8+ dollars, at least here, a gallon, so the fuel savings would be small if any. I would leave it for cleaning paint guns and thinning and leave it out of my fuel tank.

3oz per 10 gallons seems to be the max recomended... I would probably go with 2oz, and 1 gallon is 128 fl oz, so that would treat 640 gallons, costing you only 1.25 cents more per gallon, and if %15+ mpg gain is true, based on $2/gallon(which is the current price for gas here), %15 savings would be about $0.30 a gallon, making net savings bout $0.2875 a gallon, the cost of the acetone would have to be $192 a gallon in order for it to have no gain.

also gasoline and oil are hard on rubber and other surfaces also, it often is contributes greatly to the deterioration of motor mount bushings and suspension bushings.

but I have no evidence that acetone actually works, having never tried it, but if it does it would be worth it.

This a very very bad idea... Acetone is not a nice substance and will dissolve any rubber components in your fuel system like the O rings around the injectors, lines, and pump components... not to mention it might free up some junk in your tank that will move down stream and either clog the in tank filter and possiably kill the fuel pump, or plug the regular fuel filter, or clog the injectors.... Acetone is not ment for running in fuel systems at all and a very bad idea... although it might save you gas, it will cost you in maintance

I've read all that stuff about acetone too. Since it was only $2 for a 16 oz can of it I decided to try it, so I added about 3oz in the last 15 gallons of B20 I put in my truck. No noticeable difference in performance, and so far it looks like I'm getting lousy mileage on this tank, but it's been really cold too, and I've been doing short trips where it just gets up to full operating temp by the time I shut it off. If I see any drastic improvements, I'll post em.

BTW, every says that biodiesel will do all the same horrible stuff that Kingbobdole mentioned that acetone would do (many of which are true, although the filter clogging is the only one I've experienced so far), plus I am about to start running old restuarant oil, so I figure acetone can't be much worse than that....

This a very very bad idea... Acetone is not a nice substance and will dissolve any rubber components in your fuel system like the O rings around the injectors, lines, and pump components... not to mention it might free up some junk in your tank that will move down stream and either clog the in tank filter and possiably kill the fuel pump, or plug the regular fuel filter, or clog the injectors.... Acetone is not ment for running in fuel systems at all and a very bad idea... although it might save you gas, it will cost you in maintance

I've been using acetone for the last 12 months. I've been using it in three different vehicles and have experienced NO problems with it harming the fuel system or engine whatsoever. The percentage of acetone actually used is so small it just isn't a problem with rubber parts. I've always kept records of all gasoline purchases and gasoline milage so I'm sure of my claims. In my 86 Subaru wagon I've averaged a 17% increase. In my other two (large) vehicles, I've experienced up to 28% increase in overall fuel milage. IT WORKS - GUARANTEED!

I've been using acetone for the last 12 months. I've been using it in three different vehicles and have experienced NO problems with it harming the fuel system or engine whatsoever. The percentage of acetone actually used is so small it just isn't a problem with rubber parts. I've always kept records of all gasoline purchases and gasoline milage so I'm sure of my claims. In my 86 Subaru wagon I've averaged a 17% increase. In my other two (large) vehicles, I've experienced up to 28% increase in overall fuel milage. IT WORKS - GUARANTEED!

What ratio have you been using? I think I may try this with mine.

-=Russ=-

I don't buy the corrosion argument personally. I mean, gasoline is fairly corrosive on it's own, and these days we're adding 10% ethanol anyway. Nobody uses pure natural rubber in their fuel systems anymore.

I'd be curious to see your documentation in some form. What regimen do you follow? Do you allow for seasonal variation? What are you using as a baseline to compare the gains to? Are you anal about eliminating things like maintenance issues as factors (tire inflation, oil changes, tune ups)?

The ratio I've been using 3 oz/10 gallons of gasoline.

I have a "car book" I write down my odometer reading, #gallons, price/gallon, total $, and date EVERYTIME I get gas. When I fill a page, I average the gas milage for the whole page which is about 20 tank fulls. Yes, there are seasonal changes and tire inflation will also affect milage. I always run 35-37# tire pressure. By comparing mpg by page - not by individual fill ups, you can get a lot better idea as to what works and what doesn't. I've kept records on this Subaru for the last 230,000 miles so this is what I base my opinions on.

I've kept records on this Subaru for the last 230,000 miles so this is what I base my opinions on.

That sounds like very good record keeping. I assume you're selecting pages for before & after comparsion from the same time of year? Have you tried halting acetone use to get a true ABA test?

That sounds like very good record keeping. I assume you're selecting pages for before & after comparsion from the same time of year? Have you tried halting acetone use to get a true ABA test?

Yes, I compared pages using the same time of the year. No, I haven't halted using acetone because to really compare I'd have to stop for too long a period and with gasoline prices as high as they are, I don't want to do that.

Yes, I compared pages using the same time of the year. No, I haven't halted using acetone because to really compare I'd have to stop for too long a period and with gasoline prices as high as they are, I don't want to do that.

They're retreated to near pre-Katrina prices around here.

I have been using Acetone now for a few months in all my cars and my friends cars with positive results, a buddy has a 94 S10 4.3L V6 that has allways pinged unless using super, now on Regular with 3 oz/acetone per 10 gallons his ping is gone, and he says it runs much stronger.

My Subaru didnt gain performance but detonation is much harder to do now, I have actually been able to advance my timing in my EMS with ACETONE in the tank unlike before with regular 92 octane. Milage has gone up alittle.

The best results I have seen have been on my 1990 Acura Legend with a fair ammount of mods, it runs very strong with ACETONE in the tank.

ACETONE has been used for years in cars, it modifies the surface tension of gasoline and improves combustion by as much as 40%! This results in less emissions, longer oil change intervals and better effiecency.

I also found a website where a guy soaked various fuel system parts for over a year with no negative effects. Also ACETONE only reacts with cheaper plastics, most all of the materials in the fuel system of modern fuel injection are high quality so this is not a problem.

The trick to ACETONE is to use the correct ratio.

3oz/10gallons of gas.

Also Oregon uses Ethyonal in the winter time in the gas so ACETONE wont really help in the winter since Eth and ACETONE pretty much cancel each other out. I still do notice slight better resistance to detonation even with ETH in the winter gas here but not as much as when it was summer time.

But does it dissolve plastics? You will find very little, if any, actual rubber around anymore - its just too expensive compared to plastic alternatives. Even your tires are mainly plastic!

Having been around a lot of acetone and having it get on a lot of surfaces, like paint, it would take a pretty convincing double blind study before I would consider mixing it into my gas tank. I have seen it disolve plastic, swell fuel lines and paint gun air bleed lines, and the last time I looked my filters had plastic housings. Another way to put this is, if it really inproved milage to the claimed levels, there would be hundreds if not thousands of people trying it. I googled it and found very little evidence to support the reported claims. I also wonder how long it really remains in the fuel tank with vapor control without evaporating, it is several times more volitle than fuel, which is why it is such a good paint solvent. This is besides the fact that it is extremly toxic, much more so than fuel is, which is no picnic either, but does not have the same skin penetrating effect in such a short amount of time. Like toluene and several volitles, it has deletorious effects on the liver and kidneys, not to mention very small amounts can produce marked central nervous system problems and they are not temporary. It is also risky to store and spilling it in your garage in a lot smaller amount than gas can cause a fire when the old hot water heater kicks on. It would be great if it did work, but I am going to need to see some data to support the claims.

Having been around a lot of acetone and having it get on a lot of surfaces, like paint, it would take a pretty convincing double blind study before I would consider mixing it into my gas tank.

Not that I belive much I read on the net, but I thought I'd save you some time reading what is on that first link

I have soaked carburetor parts in acetone for months and even years to see if there is any deterioration. Any parts made to run with gasoline will work with acetone just fine.

And

Acetone can reduce hydrocarbon emissions up to 60 percent. In some older cars, the HC readings with acetone in a 1986 GMC went from 440 PPM to 195, as just one example.

If thats true. It sounds like a wonderful additive.

And I know what your saying now, what about all the bad affects the acetone will do

A colorless, volatile liquid with a sweet odor. It is considered the least toxic solvent in industry. It can occur naturally. It is used in the production of lubricating oils, chloroform, pharmaceuticals, pesticides, paints, varnishes and lacquers. If present in water, it is more likely to volatilize or biodegrade before bioaccumulating or adsorbing to sediments. Acetone will also readily volatilize and biodegrade in soil. It is also a common laboratory contaminant, so its presence in a sample does not always indicate its presence in the environment. Synonyms - Dimethylketone and 2-propanone.

Like I said, I don't belive everything I read. But I'm going to be checking to see if it will affect my feul lines by soaking one in it and if its all good I'll be doing some testing.

And please, stop going on about 'I wont use it till its proven'. If you don't belive what is said in the links provided, you will have to do the tests your self to be convinced huh? So, why not do what I'm going to? Its only a few minutes of your day. Please don't take offence, I just get annoied when all I can read is people saying, it does't seem right. And not knowing anything anyway. If it takes you to see it with your own eyes. Please, test it your self. Or stop posting here.

EDIT: oh, and don't forget petrol is a good paint striper too.

Gee, that was a bit political of me

NLike I said, I don't belive everything I read. But I'm going to be checking to see if it will affect my feul lines by soaking one in it and if its all good I'll be doing some testing.

To be a valid test, you need to soak it in a gasoline/acetone solution of the ratio discussed, not pure acetone. Failing pure acetone wouldn't necessarily decide the issue, but passing it probably would.

Not that I belive much I read on the net, but I thought I'd save you some time reading what is on that first link

And

If thats true. It sounds like a wonderful additive.

And I know what your saying now, what about all the bad affects the acetone will do

Like I said, I don't belive everything I read. But I'm going to be checking to see if it will affect my feul lines by soaking one in it and if its all good I'll be doing some testing.

And please, stop going on about 'I wont use it till its proven'. If you don't belive what is said in the links provided, you will have to do the tests your self to be convinced huh? So, why not do what I'm going to? Its only a few minutes of your day. Please don't take offence, I just get annoied when all I can read is people saying, it does't seem right. And not knowing anything anyway. If it takes you to see it with your own eyes. Please, test it your self. Or stop posting here.

EDIT: oh, and don't forget petrol is a good paint striper too.

agree bring facts to the table not i thinks