Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Injector cleaning

Has anyone sent their fuel injector(s) in for a professional cleaning? The ultrasonic reverse flow flush type cleaning, not just sitting in some stuff. If so, what kind of difference did you see afterwards in terms of power/fuel economy?

I know over in the RX-7 world, injector cleaning can make a huge difference, but I haven't seen it discussed much here (and the injectors are the same age as 2nd gen RX-7 injectors, for the most part).

-=Russ=-

RC Engineering is one of the best places, and I have seen 10-20% flow improvements listed on the spec sheet that comes back with the injectors.

Aside from low flow, dirty injectors suffer from uneven flow which is even more dangerous. If you have 3 injectors flowing normally and one signifigantly lower, it will lean out that cylinder and potentially cause massive damage. Holed piston, damaged valves & seats, turbine damage, etc. The only way to know this was going on would be to have an EGT probe in each runner. Most people only use one in the hottest runner.

I had mine cleaned by RC Engineering in CA. Small shop, very good, pioneers in the field. Others have used them too. Cost is about $25 per injector. They test before and after. Mine showed better flow, pattern, and uniformity. A search will help you. The link in my sig has pics of the test sheet I got. If you next-day ship them, you can have them back in 3 days. I can't really comment on performance improvements since I did so much other stuff at the same time and haven't been above 2nd gear or in boost yet.

http://www.rceng.com/Default.htm

--Ed