Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA82 to EJ, anyone w/ a How-to?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#76 s'ko

s'ko

RIP

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:03 AM

The important part is the pressure plate. Get one for an XT6. You'll also need to get a throwout bearing for an '85 Nissan 720 pickup to run that PP with an EA81 4spd.

The stock EA81 clutch plate is more than adequate when paired with an XT6 pressure plate.

Do I need to have the EA81 flywheel modified to XT6 specs or can I just have them turn it down for a fresh surface?

Numbchux- CONGRATs on getting it running@!!!! gEt the clutch replaced and do some front wheel burnouts.
:burnout:

#77 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:58 PM

"modified to XT6 specs" means having it lightened. You don't have to do this, just have it turned smooth.

Do I need to have the EA81 flywheel modified to XT6 specs or can I just have them turn it down for a fresh surface?

Numbchux- CONGRATs on getting it running@!!!! gEt the clutch replaced and do some front wheel burnouts.

#78 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:19 PM

The ea82 clutch is close to it's limits with the EJ22. I'm running 215/75R15's on my car, and a 2.5k rpm clutch drop on good pavement lead to a lot of clutch slippage. If I start out on a dirt patch, the clutch will hold the tire spinning no problem. I reused the Ea82 PP and flywheel, and didn't resurface either. I also used a reman clutch disk.

It is way easier to speed with the Ej22. Driving out to wyoming and back, 80mph is from a 1/4 to a 1/3 throttle. Passing people is awesome. You don't even have to downshift. Pull left, floor it, push right past and pull back right. Let off, cruise, repeat. I'm on one year's good behavior or huge suspended fine, so I didn't go higher than 90mph, which came real easy.

#79 s'ko

s'ko

RIP

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:27 PM

for those who asked, I found that 3/8 drill bit is the same size as the EJ flywheel bolt.

Also an easy way to do the flywheel is to take a long bolt and put it on a vice and place the EA flywheel underneath and the EJ flywheel on top. Take out a drill and some machining oil and then have at it. As you complete each hole, take a flywheel bolt and place it into the hole to keep the flywheels from shifting. This would howl really well on a drill press, but I don't have one. I busted two drill bits doing this..

BW

#80 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,996 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:47 AM

Here's the ECU pinout that saved me!! HUUUGE help!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#81 subieman

subieman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,422 posts
  • Sparks, NV

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:59 AM

Thanks for posting that pinout! :)

#82 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,996 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for posting that pinout! :)

of course! I just hope other people can get as much use out of it as I did!

btw, I left it at it's full ~2,500x3,000 resolution so it can be easily read and printed out. so it's big!

I think I'm going to start compiling all the info I've read and experienced onto a page somewhere (anyone know of a good place?) hopefully those of you who have done the swap can contribute!

EDIT: holy 2,000th post batman!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users