Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 to EJ, anyone w/ a How-to?

BlindSight

The important part is the pressure plate. Get one for an XT6. You'll also need to get a throwout bearing for an '85 Nissan 720 pickup to run that PP with an EA81 4spd.

The stock EA81 clutch plate is more than adequate when paired with an XT6 pressure plate.

Do I need to have the EA81 flywheel modified to XT6 specs or can I just have them turn it down for a fresh surface?

Numbchux- CONGRATs on getting it running@!!!! gEt the clutch replaced and do some front wheel burnouts.

:burnout:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"modified to XT6 specs" means having it lightened. You don't have to do this, just have it turned smooth.

Do I need to have the EA81 flywheel modified to XT6 specs or can I just have them turn it down for a fresh surface?

Numbchux- CONGRATs on getting it running@!!!! gEt the clutch replaced and do some front wheel burnouts.

The ea82 clutch is close to it's limits with the EJ22. I'm running 215/75R15's on my car, and a 2.5k rpm clutch drop on good pavement lead to a lot of clutch slippage. If I start out on a dirt patch, the clutch will hold the tire spinning no problem. I reused the Ea82 PP and flywheel, and didn't resurface either. I also used a reman clutch disk.

It is way easier to speed with the Ej22. Driving out to wyoming and back, 80mph is from a 1/4 to a 1/3 throttle. Passing people is awesome. You don't even have to downshift. Pull left, floor it, push right past and pull back right. Let off, cruise, repeat. I'm on one year's good behavior or huge suspended fine, so I didn't go higher than 90mph, which came real easy.

for those who asked, I found that 3/8 drill bit is the same size as the EJ flywheel bolt.

Also an easy way to do the flywheel is to take a long bolt and put it on a vice and place the EA flywheel underneath and the EJ flywheel on top. Take out a drill and some machining oil and then have at it. As you complete each hole, take a flywheel bolt and place it into the hole to keep the flywheels from shifting. This would howl really well on a drill press, but I don't have one. I busted two drill bits doing this..

BW

Thanks for posting that pinout! :)

of course! I just hope other people can get as much use out of it as I did!

btw, I left it at it's full ~2,500x3,000 resolution so it can be easily read and printed out. so it's big!

I think I'm going to start compiling all the info I've read and experienced onto a page somewhere (anyone know of a good place?) hopefully those of you who have done the swap can contribute!

EDIT: holy 2,000th post batman!!