Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what do you like about your suby?

Buddy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn... where to start?

Ease of maintenance - it's one of the easiest cars I've ever worked on.

Traction/handling in the snow/ice - it's my winter car. With cheap tires, it was the best thing I'd ever driven in the snow. With Blizzaks on it, it's absolutely insane how well it grips & goes.

Cargo capacity - I've loaded it up many times, almost dragging the rear on the ground, and it's never complained.

Fun to drive - for a wagon, it handles surprisingly well, and you can really hammer on it without exceeding the speed limit.

Complaints:

No AC. This is the *only* thing keeping me from using it year round. The ferrets don't handle high temperatures (>80F) well, and I can't really get to my destination as a sweatball in my line of work.

Lack of power. 90hp just doesn't cut it when trying to merge onto the highway, uphill, with a full load in the back. I don't like having to rely on semis & such to move over when I hit the highway doing 55 and traffic is doing 80. I'm planning a turbo swap to fix this.

-=Russ=-

Hey Buddy This is Jerry, a cool rig to drive and i can do alot of swapping of parts. Cheap on gas and you have 4x4 wow when you go to the gas station to fill up 16 - 18 dollars and look over to that big honken pickup 100 dollars or more. I have better things to spend my money on that just gas to haul my but around remember i drive 500 miles a week just to work and back. Then when you do these mods to a subaru and everybody sees it you get 1 of 2 looks it is what the heck or thats really cool. Now you know Thanks Jerry

3 Letters....

A W D

(or a number and 2 letters, 4WD). Its what 1st attracted me to the Subaru, and its all the other great features that keeps me hooked.

Headlights that turn off with the ignition.

Boxer engine with low center of gravity.

Adjustable Suspension.

The ever popular 3rd eye passing lamp.

There are more... but I'd be here all night :)

-Brian

the fact that it gets AWESOME gas mileage... well since it don't run, don't gotta put any gas in it, plus I don't have to pay for insurace. Well the main reason is cause the parts are 10X less expensive then my Camaro, PLUS I've done a lot of parts swapping and figuring out what parts I can use to make performance parts for it. Gotta love the Subaru man!

3 Letters....A W D(or a number and 2 letters, 4WD). Its what 1st attracted me to the Subaru, and its all the other great features that keeps me hooked.

you too...Hmmm

i can still remember the fun i had with my first..

-durability is another factor that has kept me loyal to subarus.

-simplicity

Build quality, durability, longevity, reliability, ease of use, cargo space, interior design, exterior styling, seat comfort, driving position, control layout, flip-up headlights on all my XTs that have NEVER failed me, the ability to hop into a car almost as old (or older) than I am and drive cross-country without doubting whether or not I'm going to make it to my destination (I've made 4 trips in the past year like that, sometimes never having seen the Subie before I go)...pretty much everything but the blasted cupholder :banghead:

The reason i liked subarus are -

Easy access

Its AWD, no worries on wet gravel roads, very handy on the farm if its wet, I aren't scard abt gettin bogged, even when my mates were with me said that I *will* get bogged, never did - thanks to LSD diff!

Cheap to maintain, don't need to put works on it.

I use it for everyday, roughly 700 kms a week of travels (434miles) per week.

Have no problems with it. just very comfy ride etc

Cheers

AP

I like the fact that they are original in their mechanical and body styling, and that not many people have them (well not where i currently live, I cant say that about colorado). They are pretty much one of the most reliable cars on the road. Every single car comes stock w/ AWD and with the option of a turbo (except the tribeca but thats going to be next years unvailing with the 3L TT Tribeca).

:brow:

I realized a long time ago that my Subaru might not be the best at any one thing - it's not the fastest, it's not the most economical, it's not the most luxurious... BUT

it's the best all-around vehicle I've ever found. When the racers want to race, I say let's do it offroad. When the big rigs want challenge me offroad, I say let's do it on one gallon of gas. And I just laugh at the guys in their luxury cars as I drive by them in the snow.

I think the greatest thing is that when I get to work, I get out of my Subaru and look at it and I think, "That was a fun drive."

I think the greatest thing is that when I get to work, I get out of my Subaru and look at it and I think, "That was a fun drive."

Absolutely. Nasty, snowy, icy days have gone from "Ugh, I have to drive in that?" to "WHEEEEE! Let me drive! Let me drive!"

I forgot about things like the ignition-keyed headlights... I never worry about headlights anymore.

-=Russ=-

Ditto to what Syonyk said. Except I don't mind that lack of AC (I hate hot weather in general, but I took a trip to western Africa for a month in June, and now it doesn't seem hot when I get into my car and it's 115 degrees in there)

Pros: I take it off road more than my friends in SUV's do. With less hesitation. And I get better gas mileage than them too.

Cons: It still runs on gas. Can't wait to get a turbodiesel in there so i can run it from used restaraunt oil like my other vehicals.

Damn... where to start?

Ease of maintenance - it's one of the easiest cars I've ever worked on.

Traction/handling in the snow/ice - it's my winter car. With cheap tires, it was the best thing I'd ever driven in the snow. With Blizzaks on it, it's absolutely insane how well it grips & goes.

Cargo capacity - I've loaded it up many times, almost dragging the rear on the ground, and it's never complained.

Fun to drive - for a wagon, it handles surprisingly well, and you can really hammer on it without exceeding the speed limit.

Complaints:

No AC. This is the *only* thing keeping me from using it year round. The ferrets don't handle high temperatures (>80F) well, and I can't really get to my destination as a sweatball in my line of work.

Lack of power. 90hp just doesn't cut it when trying to merge onto the highway, uphill, with a full load in the back. I don't like having to rely on semis & such to move over when I hit the highway doing 55 and traffic is doing 80. I'm planning a turbo swap to fix this.

-=Russ=-

the fact that it gets AWESOME gas mileage... well since it don't run, don't gotta put any gas in it, plus I don't have to pay for insurace. Well the main reason is cause the parts are 10X less expensive then my Camaro, PLUS I've done a lot of parts swapping and figuring out what parts I can use to make performance parts for it. Gotta love the Subaru man!

Hell yeah...my camaro is expensive as hell to fix if anything breaks. My subaru is easier to work on as well and it gets more looks and compliments than my camaro..when its not covered in road gunk. :rolleyes:

haaa lets see.

easy to work on/fiddle with for the most part.

best handling vehicle ive ever had in the snow, and ive driven many an suv/4wd p/u etc. something about the low center of gravity and 4wd really makes a difference in the snow/ice

built much sturdier than a typical car.. built more like a truck actually.

cargo area is a plus

can't complain about the fuel consumption

mechanics in my town love the soobs and will often give a bit of help for no charge.

my only complaints are too little power when climbing the mountain passes and a noisy fuel pump. other than than that.. i love my rig...

Easy to work on, troubleshoot and repair. If you blow out the engine, you can always find one for a couple hundred bucks somewhere.

And the BEST thing about a soob is coming in here with a question about a problem you can't solve. Someone always has the answer..

Subarus are practical and reliable. Its a original company with original ideas that work well. They also have a good allaround feature list that work well. I think that all of the features and capabilities you can find on a light truck you get with a Subaru. You can haul a lot of crap, beat the snot out of it, and it keeps ticking...tick.. tick...tick...

Hmm...

The good

1) the "Subaru Sound"...

2) Tougher than my grandma riled up on caffeine and politics

3) dash gauges tilt with the wheel in the XT

4) cheap parts, and USUALLY easy to replace (stupid heater core hose clamps...)

5) even the 2WDs do better in poor weather than a lot of others' 4WDs

The bad

1) In the "older" generation subarus, I feel like I'm eating my knees.

2) the "newer" generation Subarus hold their value too well, I'll never be able to afford one again.

3) anyone feel like taking apart the dash of an XT? No? awww...

4) It may be a gas hog, but the Kia is WAY faster, and handles about as well as the XT.

Still love the subes.

Though I've gone back to the Kia for a while. Something about having heat in the morning that's nice...

Like:

----

Power when it's on cam and on boost

heel-toe double clutch downshifts on every turn in traffic

steering response

the sound (LOUD, but good loud :D )

funky look

open exhaust smell (no cats)

Dislike:

------

Power (lack of) when it's not on cam/boost

lack of AC in Miami, FL :(

parking (lack of power steering)

open exhaust smell (feel sorry for the people behind me)

pedal placement makes it difficult to left foot brake, since I'm tall

LOUD (even good loud is bad sometimes)

the main thing i like is the shifter (5sp). its super smooth. and the engine...man it just keeps going and going and going. now let's get a little more specific. what do you like about your EA82 suby. i like the styling. it don't look 80s like other cars from that time do. actually someone once thought that my 85 wagon was a 96!!! that's how good our cars look whan washed an' everything. do you guys get compliments like that? let me tell you it feels good when you get compliments from others!