Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what do you like about your suby?

Buddy

the main thing i like is the shifter (5sp). its super smooth. and the engine...man it just keeps going and going and going. now let's get a little more specific. what do you like about your EA82 suby. i like the styling. it don't look 80s like other cars from that time do. actually someone once thought that my 85 wagon was a 96!!! that's how good our cars look whan washed an' everything. do you guys get compliments like that? let me tell you it feels good when you get compliments from others!

My EA82 looks like a spaceship. :banana:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5) even the 2WDs do better in poor weather than a lot of others' 4WDs

Thank you,

Thats why i love my Suby...its 2WD, but i still go everywhere with it, and it doesn't get stuck...and if it does?? its so light i can almost push it out..

Also, i love how i can fly into a gravel parking lot, throw it sideways and correct it like nothing....you cant do that with some honda with a body kit...lol

I will love it even more when the ER27 finds its way into my engine bay..

-Bill

FUN to drive (AWD, turbo, 5 speed, and stiff springs)

Especially in large unplowed parking lots in LO with DIFF LOCK. :brow:

And all the neat little creature comforts typically found in much more expensive vehicles: auto windows, lumbar support, gauges, passenger door unlocks when driver door key is turned, pulling back on the wiper knob for a single swipe (great with Rain-X), adjusting seat height on the fly with the magic lever to freak out riders, steering wheel tilt is adjustable and retractable, selection for outside vent air, etc...

pretty much everything! biggest plus = RELIABILITY!!!! Have owned a LOT of vehicles over the years and my Subaru is by far the MOST reliable car I have EVER owned. (next in line would be my old '67 F250!! :) ) bought the car with 142K on the clock...now at 223K and counting.

it may not be the prettiest car on the road (has severe body panel cancer - salt belt ya know) but it is dependable, handles well - even on crappy snowy/slushy/icy roads (and it is a 2 whl drive!) gets great gas mileage, and is just generally fun to drive. the cherry bomb exhaust makes it sound great too!! :lol:

in the 4 yrs i have owned this car, i have only gotten it "stuck" once - trying to back over a snowdrift in the driveway...got unstuck by myself (put in first gear, let clutch out, open door and push with left foot!) and drove it forward thru the yard (over other drifts about the same size) to get out!! moral of story - as long as I can go forward, not too much is gonna stop the ol girl!

great cargo space as well, if it wont fit inside, it will strap down on the roof!!! hauled three, six foot tall pine trees - with root balls - inside with NO problem...well, maybe just the tips tickling my ear.... :grin:

then there are the ammenaties - power windows, power locks, power mirrors, etc - for a "cheap" car it has tons of "luxuries". only thing mine doesnt have is cruise control, which would be nice, but it is easy enough to drive that it really isnt a big issue.

and last, but definitely not least, is ease of maintenence. pretty much the easiest car I have ever worked on. (altho madkow's has a power window issue that we cant seem to resolve short of running a separate switch directly from the battery)

I HATE having to work on my mothers car cause it is such a pain to do anything - '91 Chevy Caprice Classic...but i do it anyway - i'm such a good daughter! ;) keep trying to talk her into a Subaru, but she likes the bigger cars - more comfortable she says - especially on a long trip. oh well, i tried.

Subaru's are just all around great cars - not the best at any one thing ('cept maybe handling crappy weather/roads) but good at just about everything!

The Brat: Leaving home, filling up the 10 gallon tank, wheeling all day with "big rigs" and coming home with half a tank, while everyone else is on empty. It's a small kind of big, I can stuff it into some tight places. The looks on people's faces when they see it for the first time, then the look when they see it wheel. The stereo. The easy of parts replacement.

The only down side is blowing axles every 10-50 miles.

The Turbo: Having a car thats 21 years old and still romps on newer honda's. The handling, nothing like it compares, even the WRX's I've driven don't hold the road quite the same. POWER!!

Down side is that it leaks water into the passenger compartment, don't know from where, then during the day it condenses on the inside glass, and at night it freezes, so I have to scrape the ice off the inside and outside in the morning.

The Legacy: AWD!!! Power, comfort. I can drive it all day long and still feel great when I get where I'm going. And for a big ol wagon, it handles really well. Not as great as some cars I've driven, but still good. Reliable!!

I love laughing at everyone at the gas station in thier SUVs..plus I feel that EA82s were designed around someone like me..everything just seems to fit so perfect...easy to work on and dependable as they get...Plus I like the giggles ya get when you pop the hood and someone see's the spare tire there...for the first time

wow we really love our cars!!! yeah i like the luxuries they have. tell me how many cars from that time do you see with power windows/locks/mirrors. the ignition tied lights is cool. i still catch attention from people on the road. gotta love the "skinny guy" (spare tire) under the hood. i also like the boxer engine. honda smoker!!!

My faves,... Pull to wipe wiper switch, lights off with ignition,

I like the center dash display the most,.. it shows what door is open, when in it in 4wd & Lo range,.. and the highbeam indicators are shown at the front of the picture of the car... I LOVE IT!!! :grin:

Well i actually love the whole car,... except for the undersized radio compartment.:banghead:

GO GO 4WD & Boxer & Turbo & Everything we love about our soobs.:banana:

(btw... ive never read another car forum, but to other car owners love their cars as much as we do?)

Paid $900 for an '88 DL Wagon and it has taken my family all over the country and back-country. I love all the cool cubby holes and secret comparments. Owning a Subaru is like having a large extended family that spreads around the world. I may be crazy, but I think even the youngens' in their WRX's always slow down a little too check us out!

I like the center dash display the most,.. it shows what door is open, when in it in 4wd & Lo range,.. and the highbeam indicators are shown at the front of the picture of the car... I LOVE IT!!! :grin:

Yeah, I forgot. That display that shows the little picture of the car is pretty neat. I've been in cars 15 years newer than mine that just beep at you and won't tell you why....

oh yeah i forgot about that too. that little figure shows lots of info. i like the stop lamp indicator that shows when you have a burned out stop lamp in the back. what else do you like about your suby?

oh yeah, forgot about the little car display in the dash - gotta love that.

also LOVE the full compliment of guages!!! Not too many cars, old or new, have the full guage package. I know some of you have had problems with the oil pressure guage, but mine has been pretty good so far (now watch - it will quit next week!! LOL)

...I like the giggles ya get when you pop the hood and someone see's the spare tire there...for the first time

yup, love that too, and the looks on thier faces when they realize the engine is only about 13" from from to back!! :grin: and then, when ya leave the station (or where ever) give the tires a little squawk... :burnout:

yup, love that too, and the looks on thier faces when they realize the engine is only about 13" from from to back!! :grin: and then, when ya leave the station (or where ever) give the tires a little squawk... :burnout:
i'm tellin you, i love the "skinny guy" (spare tire of course) that lives under the hood. he's so nice. :lol:

Not me, TMIC is in the way.

I like my subie when it is running. I enjoy the feel of brute power as it is fed from the engine through the 5 speed tranny, and ultimately to the ground. It is as if the car knows what I am thinking, and it responds with gusto to my beckon and call. That '88 fits me like a glove. It is a total sleeper, which creeps up and pounces on unsuspecting ricer wannabes. Either way, it delivers what I want, when I want it. It has plenty of room for hauling things and people. I love every inch of that car.

I love the fact that I have such an easy car to work on and even when something goes wrong, it is such a breeze to fix. I also like how our cars are built like legos, I mean in a few weeks I will have the 5 speed DR tranny out of an '85 wagon, a WRX downpipe and intercooler, Legacy turbocharger and rear LSD, XT6 rear sway bar, EA82T rear disc brakes and almost all those parts are bolt on!!! The handling is amazing for a car with such poor front camber, and it is the BEST winter car ever! I can pass people in the unplowed lane in the mountains at 50+ and when I get to work I hear everyone else complaining about how their trucks were all over the road (Happened today actually!).

I love the fact that I have such an easy car to work on and even when something goes wrong, it is such a breeze to fix. I also like how our cars are built like legos, I mean in a few weeks I will have the 5 speed DR tranny out of an '85 wagon, a WRX downpipe and intercooler, Legacy turbocharger and rear LSD, XT6 rear sway bar, EA82T rear disc brakes and almost all those parts are bolt on!!! The handling is amazing for a car with such poor front camber, and it is the BEST winter car ever! I can pass people in the unplowed lane in the mountains at 50+ and when I get to work I hear everyone else complaining about how their trucks were all over the road (Happened today actually!).
i like the fact that you can put a bigger engine in them. ej22,ej25 and even wait is it ej 27 or er27 but any way you get the picture.

i think that is the wrong question, to long of a answer. how about what don't you like about your roo? I dont like my headlights, hrm i think thats about it.... :drunk:
ha, you just say this because your wagon is not as cool as mine. do you get the picture? MY WAGON IS COOLER THAN YOURS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: