Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rust Prevention

I was talking to a customer of mine who is a mechanic and owned a Brat way back when. He told me a little secret weapon on preventing rust.

Take some 5-10w, Marvel Mystery oil and a dash of diesel fuel and mix it together. Put it into a bug sprayer and staying way from the exhaust, lightly mist all the parts under the car that are prone to rust. Then wipe down any rubber brake lines/hoses that get wet with the mixture.

Living in the rust belt, he has done this at each oil change and has yet to have any vehicle rust out. Dirt will stick to it, but, as he said, "Who cares? At least it won't rust." This won't stop rust that's already there, but will prevent new rust from forming.

His brother offroads in his Jeep and he sprays his more often.

Seems worth a shot.

yea, i saw that on "Trucks" the tv show

Cool... he also went into an elaborate spraying rig that he made because he does a lot of it.

Well, I kinda stopped listening when he got the part where you take the valve off an outdated propane cylinder and drill an access hole... yikes!

Literally anything that has an oil base will prevent rust. I did that to my '75 a couple years ago when I was forced to park it on dirt.

Another tip: Instead of a "spraying apparatus", just look on eBay for a used Pampered Chef or Williams-Sonoma olive oil mister. It does the trick without costing a fortune or taking hours to create, is maneuverable and easily refillable.