Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone bought fiberglass repro. fenders for '73-77 Stage I?

Second question.Is anyone interested?

The guy just lowered his price.He had them for $199 each,way too much for me.Now he's lowered them to $99,not bad,but as always I'd love to pay less.

EDIT***Just saw that he does still have uncracked fenders still at $199 each.***

I'm already in possesion of one,or was it two,fiberglass fender for my '78.He had them too,but I didn't see them listed a few minutes ago.I haven't bolted one up yet.I have to imaging you'd want some rubber washers for the bolts,right?Just curious if anyone has them in use right now,or any experience with them.

Now,if I can just get a hood,drop in an EJ20T......:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

dat b dem ......a little pricey but I might go for a set for the '73 Coupe.

That's why I approached the seller about a group buy.So far he replied once when I asked for a deal for my personal use (a set of stage I and a set of stage II),but he shot that down.Didn't hear back from asking about the group buy at all so I guess we'll take that as a NO for now.

Perhaps once he lists these for a long time and realizes there's only a handfull of buyers for them he'll get realistic on pricing.

there was a set before,and then a single right after.I don't think it was this seller though.Anyhow,I bid with a board member (garner,I believe) and dropped out letting him get them agaist another bidder for around $125 each if I recall rightly.

Then the next week or so another one came up and I got it for like $15,no B/S!! It was more for shipping than the fender.I can probably research it and get the seller's info but I'm sure that guy only had that one.

I think if several of us were actually interested and ALL emailed the guy stating that we're serious but only for $XX each,then we'd get somewhere.

But,it seems that there's no real cohesion here in the vintage Subaru world.

I spoke to him a while back about fenders for my '86. He seemed very personable, talked my ear off... but I do know one thing... he knows the worth of his inventory to the "right buyers" and is in no particular hurry to sell it off. You can tell by the dust on the fenders :) Yuck! I would be leery of anything... he could have at least dusted the thing... presentation matters.

Now, Paulie, I did find the fender from Russ Hill the night before "showcars" called me back and I stayed with Russ' deal. He was great to do business with, he's a real gentleman! So ya-huh... there is SO cohesion with the vintage crowd (in my best teeny-bopper voice) :)

I haven't bolted one up yet.I have to imaging you'd want some rubber washers for the bolts,right?Just curious if anyone has them in use right now,or any experience with them.

Now,if I can just get a hood,drop in an EJ20T......:lol:

Paul,

Tim has fiberglass repro fenders on his Ford F-1, one fender is as big as my whole cab! When we ordered them, we also needed to get all the installation hardware to go along with them. No rubber washers were needed, but if I remember correctly, it took 136 nuts and bolts for the 4 fenders, and I think they're stainless steel.

Now, that could be due to the fact that there are so many bolts involved and the stress is evenly distributed throughout the units. Subes only have a few so I imagine it wouldn't hurt to put them on as long as it doesn't create a slight space between the fender and a reinforcing part, like a solid, straight run of metal. Better it lay flat in that case, or it will spider crack with any expansion, contraction or impact. A single area where it just touches one part might be good insurance against vibration injuries. For instance, where the bumper attaches to the fender on an '8x.

One more word of warning. Painting them is a bear... the static is ungodly, it will attract a speck of dust 3 miles down the road and then it'll call all its buddies. They don't rust, but even after the paint dries, they attract every particle of dust around... they do look nice though.