Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ULTRA odd problem

WJM

1987 SUBARU Leone RX/II 3 Door FT4WD 5spd D/R EA82T

so I was hauling azz today...adn took a hard left hander like always...and BAM...no power. Like the fuel injectors cut off.

I get it stright...blip the throttle, power back on. HARD right hand corners, power as usual. Since then, pretty much ANY left corner with more than ~20% throttle application results in one of several things...

1. severe bucking (on off on off on off in RAPID succession).

2. NOTHING (like fuel and/or ignition os turned off).

3. SMOKE SCREEN of raw fuel accompany'd by anti-lag like backfiring out of the exhaust...which results is severe stumbling and no power.

4. combination of all of the above mentioned options.

under a sustained skidpad envionment...once it hits, it keeps the car off until the cornering is ceased, or revs drop to idle...and in some cases when the car is straight, continues to be 'off' until revs drop back to idle, then its ready to go again.

it NEVER does this during right hand corners, even in skidpad.

fuel levels are varying. Does this when full, 1/2, below the E, 1/3, 2/3, 63/64ths....etc...fuel level doesnt matter.

I have checked the grounds, all is good. No loose wiring that I can find, and everything is hooked up so far that I can tell...

BRAND NEW coil, plugs are a few weeks old (NGK V-power gapped to .024), wires are OE SUBARU that are 1 year old (same for cap and rotor)

fuel filter is about a year old now.

This one is well beyond my realm of understanding.

any ideas?

Sounds like your having the same problem as all of the SPFI EA82's.

There was a Subaru TSB on this issue, the PCV System was revised to fix this issue on SPFI EA82's, since during left hand cornering it suck in large ammounts of Oil from the Crankcase into the intake.

This sounds like your problem, check out your PCV Valve, Hose Routing, etc.

PCV system is not stock....one hose with a tee to another tee with a breather filter. A NTP plug in the manifold replacing the PCV valve.

Well I would definitly look into your PCV Setup then.

Any reason why you changed it?

Subaru redesigned the PCV System on the EA82-T's to fix issues like this and it works very well so long as the engine doesn't have excessive blowby or a bad PCV Valve.

The EA82's don't happen to have an inertia switch on the fuel pump circuit? You know, one of thos switches that cuts off power to the pump during and after an accident. It would be part of the fuel pump controller box behind the rear left wheel well i would think. If your's is getting extra sensitive, it would trip and cut fuel pressure under cornering. That's only if the car has one. I know this was a problem on ford bronco/rangers. Just an idea.

The EA82's don't happen to have an inertia switch on the fuel pump circuit? You know, one of thos switches that cuts off power to the pump during and after an accident. It would be part of the fuel pump controller box behind the rear left wheel well i would think. If your's is getting extra sensitive, it would trip and cut fuel pressure under cornering. That's only if the car has one. I know this was a problem on ford bronco/rangers. Just an idea.

No they dont have this type of switch.

I remember allot of late model mustangs with this problem, funny stuff.

so I was hauling azz today...adn took a hard left hander like always...and BAM...no power. Like the fuel injectors cut off.

I get it stright...blip the throttle, power back on. HARD right hand corners, power as usual. Since then, pretty much ANY left corner with more than ~20% throttle application results in one of several things...

1. severe bucking (on off on off on off in RAPID succession).

2. NOTHING (like fuel and/or ignition os turned off).

3. SMOKE SCREEN of raw fuel accompany'd by anti-lag like backfiring out of the exhaust...which results is severe stumbling and no power.

4. combination of all of the above mentioned options.

Your sucking up oil during hard turns, CHeck you pcv system. I had a sooby that did that when i got overly agresive on turns,

nipper

Once again, with this PCV system that is currently on the car, IT HAS NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM...nor is it acting like the other EA82's with the PCV issue.

why did I change it? because I could, and I wanted to. This setup has been on this RX, and many other EA82T's for 2 years with no problems.

These cars have the fuel cut units. See thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27482

It is entirely possible that is my problem, however, since the RX is an 87, an EARLY 87 at that...it is entirely possible that it does not have one.

mine does something like that every now and then, but its usually when accelleration from a stop. it wont rev in gear. starts bogging hard, then a loud pop,pop,pop from the engine. once it pops. it takes off like a raped ape and goes like stink. usually wont do it for a long time after though.

My suggestion:

Put in a new set of spark plugs, warm it up to normal operating temp, run it on the skidpad until the smokescreen and/or power cut has occurred for a few seconds (or as long as you can stand it), cut the ignition and pull the spark plugs out and take a look at them. See if any particular plug or sets of plugs are sooted. This should tell you what in general is actually happening.

My vote goes for a loose/bad wire/connection... my first thought was spark plug wires. Spark plug wires can go bad at any age, even OEM; and one year old is not really the same as new.

Directed at the novices (the ones with far less than 7k+ postings): When your engine isn't running right make sure that the ignition is first rate, with new parts, especially spark plugs. Make sure the ignition timing is set properly. The ignition is the foundation for all of the rest of the engine's tuning, so get it right before you go messing around with carburetor, FI, cams, whatever.

apparently, the BRAND NEW NAPA IC12 coil was borked from the factory.

I swapped the coil back to a MUCH older NAPA IC12...the one that came in the car, and all is good so far.

Don't you just love DOA parts??? :rolleyes: Trust no one. Assume nothing.

Glad to hear the problem is resolved.