Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replace a EJ22T with a EJ18?

ajt3nc

what ive heard the EJ18 handles boost better than any other NA blocks, but 6 psi would be good, thats wastegate on the VF-11 turbo that comes on the legacy turbo. its not all bolt up, the crossmember and headers and turbo would bolt on, but you would have to drill a hole in the head for the oil lines for the turbo unless you want your turbo to die.

i ran my EJ22T on the 1.8 ECU and it was OK but fueled and possibly knocked terribly... the other way around im sure it would run but wouldnt be too fun of a daily driver im guessing, plus it would be slow since the legacy is heavier than an impreza.

a shortblock swap might be too much work to be worth it but it would run the best, (2.2T heads intake manifold and boost control stuff, then you dont have to worry about the oil feed line cuz its there) it would probably be higher compression so watch out... what i would do is take the legacy turbo and make the EJ22T run! whats wrong with it? youll undoubtedly have the most fun with a working EJ22T over a EJ18 turbo conversion. good luck